4 posters
AuthorMessage
Gronant Paul
Mackerel Hunter

Number of posts : 55
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2004

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 10:29 am

Can anyone recommend a light travel rod 2-4 oz to keep in the car for quick fishing sessions?

Thanks Gronantpaul
Back to top Go down
Gronant Paul
Mackerel Hunter

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 10:31 am

Sorry and a size 5000/6000 to match the rod.
Thanks Gronantpaul
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1705
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4950

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 12:14 pm

I've got a couple of rods that I can keep in the car.
They are a few years old,but work ok.
When buying a rod I always find the best idea is to have good look at the rod.Some rods on the market are useless,and made very poorly,they don't last 5 minutes.Each ring has a ferrule attached,and if they are not engineered very well,they soon start to slide off from their position on the end of each rod section.
As for the reel,I use a 6000 shimano Baitrunner with 30lb braid,and the hooklengths are mono,with the breaking strain to suit what I'm fishing for.
If I was buying a rod,I'd definately go in the shop and give it a good coat of looking at. lol!
Back to top Go down
Gronant Paul
Mackerel Hunter

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 12:41 pm

Thanks for the good advice
Gronantpaul
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7111

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 6:56 pm

This is on my current wish list. Packs down to just over 50cm.

https://www.fishingmegastore.com/travel-rods/shakespeare-6ft6-ugly-stik-travel-spin-5-15g-4pc~21138.html

(Other suppliers may be cheaper)

I am thinking I could use a piece of pvc pipe to protect it in the boot.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13634

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 8:11 pm

I've got one of those! I've the version you put the link on to and the non-travel version ( which is slightly longer)
It handles Fenland Pike nicely and seems strong and should last me.
I like the look of Uglystiks and have various ones up to uptider weight

The travel rod is certainly safer if you pop a protective tube around it.
I also put some electrical tape around the base of the butt to stop it wearing as there is no end cap ( there is on the non-travel version) a travel rod with a removal  bung allows a small lure to be hidden away. If flying might be asking for trouble in carry on luggage though.
You wouldn't want bigger than a 400 ( 4000 in some manufacturers sizings ) size reel on it though, so braid helps with capacity.

Having worked away from home in the past I've explored travel rod options a good few times.

Basically they all involve compromise.
For the beach/pier I've a shakespeare salt multi section beach caster, from memory I think it is only 10 feet assembled which limits casting distance but it is a reliable
basic rod.
I've a Blackrock travel Geotex spin (or something, not 100% sure I've recalled the name right) assembles to 10 or 11 feet and
on which a nifty butt design allows you to fit a fixed spool reel, this rod could sea spin but wouldn't look out of place using on a holiday park's coarse lake
or,
the nifty butt design means a fly reel is an option.
I've a bison ( I think it is called that) multi tip rod which is fairly short sectioned not quite as portable but comes with 3 different weight tips all seafishing focussed.

If you check out my last trip to Norway report you will see that I used a telescopic rod, not a great rod but the huge advantage was that I could have it all rigged but collapsed down, join the disembarking queue, and make the most of the 15 minute port stops before collapsing it down again to re-board - minimal lost time.

I have a Salmon travel fly rod ( never caught a Salmon though)

The reel I reckoned would hold a lot of versality is a Mitchell Match Reel, came with 4 different size spools, so different line on each allows for varied fishing opportunies  but the capacity wasn't enough for the beach.

And then, there is the what tackle do I keep in the car question, do I stick to lures, or have some artificial baits,
which can include artificial coarse stuff like fake bread, fake maggots / worms or rely on the local supermarket options?

I've pondered the options many times, first work out how varied you want your fishing opportunies to be and accept that compromise on your travel kit is inevitable but fishing with less than ideal kit beats not having any kit available in my experience.

There's hours of fun to be had just thinking about it study  scratch

Last edited by Notbad on Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gronant Paul
Mackerel Hunter

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod EmptyTue Apr 19, 2022 8:53 pm

I saw lots of lads mackerel fishing at Llandudno and fishing the River Conway, with a travel rod in the boot and a bit of bait or feathers I could have joined them.🎣
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Travel rod Empty
PostSubject: Re: Travel rod   Travel rod Empty

Back to top Go down

Travel rod
Page 1 of 1