4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6464

Skunked again and again and again Empty
PostSubject: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 4:52 am

That's 3 trips to Muriwai for one bite and that was a large Eagle ray I did not want so I locked down and broke it off, chances of landing it about zero.
We have had 2 weeks of little wind, sunny and 25C temperatures with a small to medium swell, mostly fishable though a large sand bank out in front of the bay to the south is directing a current past the front of the rock, We can cast over it and hold bottom most of the time. The prevailing water movement to the North pushes sand up the coast in pulses, so we have to wait for this one to pass.
On the days I could have taken the boat out on the harbour, the tides did not suit. It is not that I have lost my touch, everyone is having a hard time, I stayed until dark and high tide one night still nothing.
This is often a hard time of year, most fish have sex on their minds or are off shore doing it. Also if the water is too clean the fish go somewhere else.

Skunked again and again and again Img_6014

This is behind where we fish, you can see why it is called Flat Rock, that's my bag there. 2 groups of gannets and on the ledges between, White fronted terns that a month ago would often fly out to sea a few hundred meters in a great screaming flock. The gannets swoop down and often turn along the face of a wave giving us the occasional grief getting caught in a line.  

Skunked again and again and again Img_6016

You can see that the gannets are not unduly bothered by the lookout and people.

Skunked again and again and again Img_6015

I did catch this sunset.
Back to top Go down
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1303
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7108

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 10:25 am

Looks a great spot Rhod.

There is not much doing here at the moment either. Been too warm for the time of year in my opinion. Need a few frosts.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13631

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 2:04 pm

Never heard of an Eagle Ray before, after looking it up I'll stick to pin whiting!

Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptySun Dec 12, 2021 6:50 pm

Just think of a thornback, but up to 20kg, they hunt crabs and small fish often in the surf zone, if upset they will bury themselves in the sand, one way to shift them is to put strain on the line then pluck it like a guitar string. The last option as I did, is to lock up and walk backwards.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2861
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7843

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptyMon Dec 13, 2021 9:12 am

It looks a lovely spot for fishing but however good looking if the fish don’t turn up all you get is nice sunsets. fishing scratch
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again EmptyMon Dec 13, 2021 10:21 am

I cannot remember when I had 3 blanks in a row, I was going to go Tuesday night, but the forecast is for a biblical rain event after about 2 inches today. Not that I mind getting wet, but there is wet and drowned. The sunsets do help soothe the soul.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skunked again and again and again   Skunked again and again and again Empty

Back to top Go down

Skunked again and again and again
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com :: Sea Fishing :: International Fishing Reports-
Jump to: