sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com

Stay Alert, Stay Safe!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
MusselMan
ADMIN
MusselMan

Number of posts : 1307
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7121

Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) Empty
PostSubject: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 2:51 pm

Just wondering what people’s views are around the Brexit fishing deal? I can understand the fishing industry not being happy about it. My understanding is that even in 5 years’ time only 1 in 4 of fish caught in our waters will be “ours”. Europe will continue to catch the majority of fish. There will be financial penalties on us after that if we don’t continue to let them catch that amount of fish, so it is likely that this arrangement will stay in place. Is my understanding right?

I appreciate that there are issues with sale of our fish to Europe and we want that to continue. Some of the produce we catch does not have a UK market. Also it will take time for our fishing industry to regrow from what we currently have. What an opportunity missed here though. Hardly taken back any control.

My personal opinion (I am not a commercial fisherman or much of a rod n line fisherman for that matter) , things I would like to have seen :-

• A few mile wide no commercial fishing zone around the entire perimeter of our fishing boundary (this should benefit both UK and EU in the long term as fishing either side should improve).
• With government support, a move away in UK waters from those styles of fishing which are destructive to the sea bed.
• With government support, a move away from fishing for produce destined for the European market towards fishing for what the UK market actually wants.
• If the UK does not want all the fish, then a substantial reduction of commercial fishing in UK waters to let stocks recover.

Don’t think any of this will be forthcoming, now or in the future as we will be locked into this “deal” forever.

Without getting too political, any views?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyMon Dec 28, 2020 10:45 pm

Great debate suggestion.

As one who remembers the "Cod Wars" I quite like the thought of seeing Royal Navy gun boats off our coast, that, and a touch of "Buy British" ( remember that one?) might be a bit of what we need to re-invigorate our post brexit and covid ravaged island economy and pride. But I have to admit that the fine detail of the agreement didn't really stick in my mind, what did get my attention was that the negotiation covered over 100 species of fish and I found myself wondering if I could name anywhere near 100.

Also, in all seriousness who was that woman anyway?

I don't suppose the agreement is perfect but especially in current pandemic circumstances perhaps getting something in place is better than a complete impasse.

Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6105
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13653

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 9:57 am

Just had a look on the "Gov." page hoping for a duffers guide to the agreement ( no such luck) I'll need another coffee before wading through it but if anyone has an ambitious species target for 2021 this bit caught my eye...

"Bluefin tuna and Antarctic and Patagonian toothfish.
Direct landings, imports and exports of Bluefin Tuna or Antarctic and Patagonian toothfish into and from the UK (except for movements between NI and the EU) will require validated catch documents to be submitted to the importing competent authority or relevant fisheries administration, and verifications of those to take place."

Quite apart from musing on what tactics are for a Patagonian Toothfish, it does highlight the complexities involved including having Eire/NI to our West.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2864
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7855

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 10:26 am

You have some good point there MusselMan, I have not read anything about the new regulations only what has been said on the news but my opinion is the whole fishing industry wants looking at there is far to many fish being taken out of the sea and although they have tried to control it with quotas the nets they use don’t select the fish they want to catch so tons are thrown back dead. A quota that say was on the whole catch and everything came back and then was all used might be a better idea. Under the present system the way I see it and I might be wrong but they can catch 10 tons keep what they want the best and what they are allowed and come home with there quota of 5 tons. The way things are at the moment is unsustainable the fish can’t breed faster than we are catching them, it has already happened in the past with over fishing of shoal fish like Herring and lots of others.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 12:38 pm

I suspect the deal was a way out of Brexit.
What we have now and in the future is the whip hand.
Governments change,so do policies.
Once we have independence,and strong world trade back in place,there will probably be more places to sell our fish to.
The deal was,in my opinion,our thin end of the wedge to get our rights back.
What future governments do may surprise us all. lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1713
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4968

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) EmptyTue Dec 29, 2020 12:49 pm

Whittingstall proved the point about over fishing.
His scheme in the Isle of Man is proving the point.
Designated areas around the Isle of man have been made
'no fishing areas'
The fish in those areas have increased in great numbers,and are spreading out from those areas.
The designated areas are then moved,and new areas put into place.
The idea is definately working.
If I don't get too old by the time it happens,we may find we are catching a fish per cast. lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)   Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!) Empty

Back to top Go down

Views on brexit fishing deal (don't get too heated!)
Page 1 of 1