8 posters
AuthorMessage
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7179

A surprise in the rain Empty
PostSubject: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:27 pm

I took a trip to Amlwch breakwater today, the weather had broken and in between the heavy showers it pissed down. I started o.k with a nice little octopus first cast, then the pin whiting and codlets started hitting the baits before anything else could get a look in. I was about to call it a night when The first topknot in my 60 years of fishing turned up and made it all worthwhile.

A surprise in the rain Sam_0651
A surprise in the rain Sam_0652
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1693
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4898

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyThu Feb 28, 2019 10:48 pm

I've never heard of a Topknot,is that a slang name or the right one?

Seems like global warming might be doing us a favour lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13852

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 6:04 am

A very rare catch (or catches) well done you must be chuffed cth

How did you get the octopus of your line ?

Last edited by Logger on Fri Mar 01, 2019 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6085
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13583

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 6:21 am

Wow!
I wouldn't have had a clue what that was, quite something in your species tally!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2851
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7802

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 9:38 am

Well done never heard of a Topknot before how big was it difficult to tell from your picture. I will look it up now.study

Just had a quick look and there is a Common-Topknot and a Eckstoms-Topknot you seem to of caught the Common one which has a large round mark midway down it's side, the Eckstoms has a large round mark just defore the tale. They stick to rock by suction can even hang upside down.scratchstudyVery Happy
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 2:18 pm

Logger wrote:

Quite easy Dave, just grab it by the head and it wraps itself round your arm, then you`ve got a spare hand to take the hook out.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 2:20 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Well done never heard of a Topknot before how big was it difficult to tell from your picture. I will look it up now.study

Just had a quick look and there is a Common-Topknot and a Eckstoms-Topknot you seem to of caught the Common one which has a large round mark midway down it's side, the Eckstoms has a large round mark just defore the tale. They stick to rock by suction can even hang upside down.scratchstudyVery Happy

Thank you professor, it was only about 8 inches weighing 4 ounces but they don`t get a lot bigger.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 2:23 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
I've never heard of a Topknot,is that a slang name or the right one?

Seems like global warming might be doing us a favour lol!

They`ve always been around some of the Anglesey rock marks and harbour walls but very rarely caught. they live on vertical surfaces and only let go to feed.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13852

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 01, 2019 5:59 pm

squidward wrote:
Logger wrote:

Quite easy Dave, just grab it by the head and it wraps itself round your arm, then you`ve got a spare hand to take the hook out.

Don't fancy the sound of that affraid
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2851
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7802

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptySat Mar 02, 2019 1:09 pm

squidward wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
fishing YWell done never heard of a Topknot before how big was it difficult to tell from your picture. I will look it up now.study

Thank you professor, it was only about 8 inches weighing 4 ounces but they don`t get a lot bigger.

Only got the info out of What Fish UK from my IPad it is a very good app if anyone want to down load it. Apart from id it gives where you are likely to catch and what rig and bait is best.thumbs up
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 9:53 am

Only got the info out of What Fish UK from my IPad it is a very good app if anyone want to down load it. Apart from id it gives where you are likely to catch and what rig and bait is best.thumbs up[/quote]

Yes it`s surprising how many people don`t look for information on line, it`s so easy to google the name of a species and there are pages full of pictures and info there at the touch of a button.
Back to top Go down
ianroberts
Conger Hunter
ianroberts

Number of posts : 755
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6118

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptySun Mar 03, 2019 11:25 am

Nice one, my favourite venue too ! I always seemed to get a more varied catch there than anywhere else.

Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6433

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 4:52 am

That occy looks a bit upset.
I'd like to watch you unhook one while it bites lumps out of your arm!

I have heard of a topknot, but never seen one, something to boast about while the rain persists down.

ps could you send a bit of rain over here, getting fed up with this sunshine all the time.
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyMon Mar 04, 2019 8:15 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
That occy looks a bit upset.
I'd like to watch you unhook one while it bites lumps out of your arm!

I have heard of a topknot, but never seen one, something to boast about while the rain persists down.

ps could you send a bit of rain over here, getting fed up with this sunshine all the time.

I`m sure we`ll have some sunshine ourselves in the summer, I`ll let you know what day it is this year. lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptyFri Mar 08, 2019 8:29 am

Job well done, I would love to catch an octopus never mind a topknot!
Back to top Go down
tatch
Tope Hunter
tatch

Number of posts : 1024
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6006

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain EmptySun Mar 10, 2019 9:51 pm

Well done that man never seen one yet in the flesh only a couple of photos funnily enough they were both from holyhead aswell cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A surprise in the rain   A surprise in the rain Empty

Back to top Go down

A surprise in the rain
Page 1 of 1