5 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6085
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13584

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line Empty
PostSubject: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyWed Oct 24, 2018 9:26 am

In Arctic Waters part three - crossing the line

Our voyage continued north through the Norwegian Sea, crossing the Arctic Circle and on into the Barent Sea via an initiation ceremony

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181027

Along the way passing hrough some tight navigation spots and where the Tirpitz was sunk.

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181028

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181029In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181030

Time to complete the mission and catch fish in the stretch  featured in the documentary about the fishing community in Viednes that got us interested in visiting here in the first place.
I had thought Bait would have to be sourced from the buffet but teaming up with Norwegian Oscar sailing with his Grandmother showed me that lures were fine and even in the briefest of port stops fish could be caught down the side of our boat.

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181031

A steady number of Coalfish, Codling and occasional Pollock jumping on the lures

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181032In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181033In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181034

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181035

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181036

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181037

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181038

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181039

Onwards we sailed to Kirkenes on the Norwegian/Russian border where the signs are also in Russian

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181040

A King Crab fishing trip was next

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181041

Our guide explained that King Crabs are not native to the area, introduced by the Russians and lacking their natural enemy the Wolf fish they've flourished. Even so fishing for them is carefully regulated.

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181042

Our guide explained why the King Crab is closer to the the lobster family than other crabs

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181043

Before preparing cooking and serving

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181044

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181045

With peeler this big we'd be needing bigger hooks for the return leg!

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181046

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181047

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181048

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181049

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181050

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181051

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line Img-2013

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line Img-2014In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181052

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181057

As we crossed out of the Arctic Circle ( marked by the globe on the rock) the sea state began to deteriotate

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line ><a href=In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181054

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181055

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181056

The waves kicked up and the boat fell silent and the dining room was deserted

skillfully negotiating the complex, hazard strewn Norwegian coast our captain resorted at one point to suspending the anchor beneath the boat to improve stability, even so we returned to Bergen on schedule, tired but happy after a terrific fishing trip er I mean Honeymoon!

Very Happy

Last edited by Notbad on Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2851
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7803

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:14 am

Like your pictures Paul. It looks a bit cold than the 23 you were having earlier. boat cth
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 8:14 pm

Amazing pal
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13853

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 9:58 pm

Fantastic that Hooray
Certainly a trip you'll always remember party
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyThu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Like your pictures Paul. It looks a bit cold than the 23 you were having earlier. boat cth

Yeah from 23 in Bergen as we set sail it dropped to -1 In Kirkenes, somehow though it feels more comfortable than in Rhyl, it's a dry cold that doesn't get in your bones like here. That said it can reach -50 In Kirkenes - you can stay in an ice hotel brrrr!

They took us out crab fishing on a rib, but in the Winter they take you on a snowmobile and you fish through a hole in the ice.

Norway's shops seem to have the temperature turned up incredibly high, perhaps an extravagance coming from their oil and gas finds. In Hammerfest and probably elsewhere, the pavements are heated!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13853

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyFri Oct 26, 2018 6:41 am

Notbad wrote:

it can reach -50 In Kirkenes - you can stay in an ice hotel brrrr!

Welcome to married life lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6434

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 3:38 am

Congratulations again on finding the perfect Woman, and for the great reports and photos.
Did you get to see the northern lights at all? I saw them once from our house at Cilcain, just a rose / violet blush to the northern sky, and missed them once in the far north of Scotland when staying at a B&B, the landlady said "did you see the northern lights last night" Grrr, I would not have minded being woken.

I had a trip to Bergen some 50 years ago with a school friend, we did a bit of fishing from the rocks in a fiord with similar results to you, just using metal lures
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7180

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 9:11 am

Congratulations again Tina and Paul, what a memorable trip, I doubt Splash Point will seem so appealing again after that.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyTue Oct 30, 2018 7:58 pm

Thanks guys!
I saw the lights from Prestatyn a bit back, just an indistinct green glow over the Wirral that I thought might even have been from Liverpool! However a chap was there taking open shutter pics which appeared in the news next day and they were full of colour!

In our cabin there was a switch allowing us to choose whether to be woken if they showed at some unearthly hour, then on nights 3 and 4 the announcement was triggered and we headed for the aft observation deck.

What I saw looked green, others saw only grey, the first occasion was a bit indistinct but on the second the lights were stronger and "danced"
 I gave up trying to capture them on my camera with a night setting and a moving boat is not a good platform for open shutter work anyway but I got these better results using my phone, difficult to do them justice really but yes we saw the Northern lights!

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181091

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line 20181092

Haven't stopped thinking about our trip - see the gallery for more pics of it. Whilst we were crab fishing on the border with Russia we could hear gunfire. We were reassured it was only a NATO exercise which accounts for the large naval presence.  Seems to have rattled the Russian aircraft carrier not so far away in Murmansk looking at the news today!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Marlin Hunter
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2851
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7803

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line EmptyWed Oct 31, 2018 8:30 am

That was something special well done the pair of you. thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line   In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line Empty

Back to top Go down

In Arctic Waters Part Three Crossing The Line
Page 1 of 1