sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: Contains Nuts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Wind and white horses

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

Number of posts : 593
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1233

PostSubject: Wind and white horses   Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:36 pm

Can anybody give me some idea of what windspeed is safe to go out to sea in,and maybe the swell factor?
After thinking of launching at Rhyl,and judging the tidal window and times and wind direction,plus the ,
weather,I've decided to go up to Ronnies on the straits.I've been out of there a couple of times on my mates boat.
I have a mate in Finnelli Neli,we went out into the straits on his boat which was quite a heavy boat.
He didn't fancy going over the bar at the entrance to the straits because of the tide,so I think I will giving going over the bar myself a miss.
According to the weather reports the wind is going to pick up in the next week or so,so I will probably leave it until the weather calms down a bit.I believe the fishing is ok,and you can turn right or left on the straits from Ronnies.
We went out of the straits on my mates boat,and up to the rifle range,the tide turned and we headed back for the straits,even though my mates boat was only a 15ft seahog,and he had a 60hp outboard on it,we could only achieve walking pace with it on full revs.In a calm sea the boat would touch about 28mph,just goes to show the power of the tide.He cut across the swell beam on of the incoming,which was a bit hairy.
Anybody know a good fishing spot on the straits? I wouldn't chance it through the Swellies with my lack of experience.
Back to top Go down
Kingfisher
Sprat Hunter

Number of posts : 27
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 260

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 am

I think you've hit the nail on the head with your last sentence " I wouldn't chance it through the Swellies with my lack of experience"

I'm new to this myself, and it's all down to experience, not something you can learn in five minutes.

I go out on a rising tide and back on the falling tide. This means in Rhyl I usually have a total of 5 hours (2hrs 30mins either side of high tide), and I can get back in at anytime within that 5 hours. I have come back in a couple of times, when it's been a bit too choppy for my liking.

Speak to the local guys, especially the comercial guys as they're the ones with all the experience. If the comercial boats aren't going out, neither am I. Golden rule for me is safety 1st 2nd and 3rd.

I do use a couple of web sites that give me a good indication of the conditions, the top one has never been wrong, but it is only a guide.

http://www.swellmap.co.nz/boating/uk/liverpool-bay

http://www.xcweather.co.uk/forecast/conwy

http://www.myforecast.com/index.php?cwid=gn2639409&zipcode=&language=en&metric=true&city_count=0&debug=N&search=1#pane-marine

As I previously said I'm new to this myself, and it is a steep learning curve. All you can do is get out there on nice calm days, gain some experience, and that learning curve starts to feel a little less steep.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 am

Thanks for the info KF,I think you will find this site very good--www.tides for fishing.com
It has a lot of info,and the info drops off (swells/wind etc) when the predictions are too far into the future.
I have it on my favorites.
Like you say,safety 1st 2nd and 3rd is a priority.
It is a massive learning curve like you say,one mistake could be your last.
This is my first sea going boat,and it will be my first time out being totally in charge.
I can't help with the launching,but my brother will be with me to lend a hand.
I won't be going out until the present weather calms down,the wind forecast being the reason.
For now,the straits at Ronnies looks favorite.
I spoke to chris at ronnies on the phone,and explained my situation,he said if I get into trouble he would come out in his boat and tow me in,seems a real nice guy.
Back to top Go down
Pete E
Dab Hunter

Number of posts : 36
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 672

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:32 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Can anybody give me some idea of what windspeed is safe to go out to sea in,and maybe the swell factor?
After thinking of launching at Rhyl,and judging the tidal window and times and wind direction,plus the ,
weather,I've decided to go up to Ronnies on the straits.I've been out of there a couple of times on my mates boat.
I have a mate in Finnelli Neli,we went out into the straits on his boat which was quite a heavy boat.
He didn't fancy going over the bar at the entrance to the straits because of the tide,so I think I will giving going over the bar myself a miss.
According to the weather reports the wind is going to pick up in the next week or so,so I will probably leave it until the weather calms down a bit.I believe the fishing is ok,and you can turn right or left on the straits from Ronnies.
We went out of the straits on my mates boat,and up to the rifle range,the tide turned and we headed back for the straits,even though my mates boat was only a 15ft seahog,and he had a 60hp outboard on it,we could only achieve walking pace with it on full revs.In a calm sea the boat would touch about 28mph,just goes to show the power of the tide.He cut across the swell beam on of the incoming,which was a bit hairy.
Anybody know a good fishing spot on the straits? I wouldn't chance it through the Swellies with my lack of experience.

This might be a silly question, but if you want to fish the Straights, why launch at Rhyl? Surely you could get more fishing time in if you launched in the Straights themselves or at least somewhere close by?
Back to top Go down
fleur1277
Anchovy Hunter

Number of posts : 2
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 431

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:50 pm

Pete,
Love it. I think there is more chance of Liverpool winning the premier league than Valuebounce ever actually getting afloat on his boat. lol! lol! lol! lol! boat
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:57 am

Pete E wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

This might be a silly question, but if you want to fish the Straights, why launch at Rhyl? Surely you could get more fishing time in if you launched in the Straights themselves or at least somewhere close by?

Read the post lad,I intend to launch on the straits lol!
boat Haha,maybe,maybe
Back to top Go down
Pete E
Dab Hunter

Number of posts : 36
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 672

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:30 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

boat Haha,maybe,maybe

Got me! Thought you were launching at Rhyl there! When are you going out?
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Pete E wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

boat Haha,maybe,maybe

Got me! Thought you were launching at Rhyl there! When are you going out?

I'm waiting for the weather Pete,Chris the guy on the straits said to phone him,and he will tell me if it's
worth the trip.
If the tides and times fit in for Rhyl,I might get a tractor launch from there.
It's a 75 ml trip to Rhyl,and 113 to the straits.
Either way it will be a test run for the boat.
It's only 14 ft,with no cuddy,once we get used to handling it,we will probably be out pretty often.
It's got steering and controls and two seats,there's room for a temporary seat,and room to fish.
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder

Number of posts : 5935
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10042

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:03 pm

Think I'll stick with Simon and let him do all the worrying lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 pm

Logger wrote:
Think I'll stick with Simon and let him do all the worrying lol!

Certainly cheaper Dave,and a lot less mither lol!

Mind you,with all your logging experience,you could build an Ark. lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 12:09 am

Still wouldn't sail it though lol!
Back to top Go down
simon parry
Giant Squid Hunter

Number of posts : 298
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3635

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:15 pm

Knowing dave he would set it on fire anyway

Wind conditions off rhyl you're best going out on a south or south easterly. You'll get away with quite a bit of wind then and as you head out if it starts getting too much for your liking you can just come back in and will be sheltered. In a 14ft boat i would avoid anything over about 5 knots really from south west round to north east as you won't get the shelter. Even for us once it starts getting to about 12 knots or more we have to start questioning whether or not to go out on those directions. Have to start taking into account the tides, where we plan on going, how long we're out for etc.
As already mentioned you've got about 2 and a half hours either side of high water. Sometimes as much as 3 hours but best play it safe.

As for the straights, they suffer on south west and east/north east winds. And the swellies arent that bad, just a strong tide pull, narrow channel and rocks everywhere. Plot your course using charts first, there are navigation aids to help guide you through them as well. Or if you prefer you could go through there either at high water so you have plenty of water or low water and you'll see where all the obstacles are

Alternatively you could pay somewhere between £30 and £70 depending on what fishing you want and come out with someone that can get away with a bit more weather and does all the worrying for you. And if you do get very unlucky and get caught out in really rough weather you're on a boat that can take it with someone thats experienced it plenty of times before. I know stevo has seen first hand what my boat can take, those swells were a good 2 metres high, 18 miles offshore and we had to head back into it. All good fun
Back to top Go down
http://www.fish-jensen.co.uk
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner

Number of posts : 3415
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7333

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:37 pm

simon parry wrote:

I know stevo has seen first hand what my boat can take, those swells were a good 2 metres high, 18 miles offshore and we had to head back into it. All good fun

I'm still having back flashes of that trip si Shocked No affraid

The Organ Grinder

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:55 pm

simon parry wrote:
How rude lol!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 9:59 pm

Logger wrote:
simon parry wrote:
How rude lol!

But it's true lol! lol!

The Organ Grinder

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:14 pm

stevo wrote:
Logger wrote:
simon parry wrote:
How rude lol!

But it's true lol! lol!
One BBQ and you never hear the end of it What a Face
Back to top Go down
stevo
Fish of the Month Winner
Fish of the Month Winner

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sun Jul 30, 2017 10:16 pm

Logger wrote:
stevo wrote:
Logger wrote:
simon parry wrote:
How rude lol!

But it's true lol! lol!
One BBQ and you never hear the end of it What a Face

lol! lol! lol! rolling laugh rolling laugh

Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:58 am

simon parry wrote:

Wind conditions off rhyl you're best going out on a south or south easterly. You'll get away with quite a bit of wind then and as you head out if it starts getting too much for your liking you can just come back in and will be sheltered. In a 14ft boat i would avoid anything over about 5 knots really from south west round to north east as you won't get the shelter. Even for us once it starts getting to about 12 knots or more we have to start questioning whether or not to go out on those directions. Have to start taking into account the tides, where we plan on going, how long we're out for etc.
As already mentioned you've got about 2 and a half hours either side of high water. Sometimes as much as 3 hours but best play it safe.

As for the straights, they suffer on south west and east/north east winds. And the swellies arent that bad, just a strong tide pull, narrow channel and rocks everywhere. Plot your course using charts first, there are navigation aids to help guide you through them as well. Or if you prefer you could go through there either at high water so you have plenty of water or low water and you'll see where all the obstacles are

Alternatively you could pay somewhere between £30 and £70 depending on what fishing you want and come out with someone that can get away with a bit more weather and does all the worrying for you. And if you do get very unlucky and get caught out in really rough weather you're on a boat that can take it with someone thats experienced it plenty of times before. I know stevo has seen first hand what my boat can take, those swells were a good 2 metres high, 18 miles offshore and we had to head back into it. All good fun

Thanks Simon,I hoped you would reply.
The reason I don't come out on your boat is because I would get in everybody's way stumbling about,and I need to sit down now and then.
The seats in my boat swivel,so I can fish sat down most of the time.The draft on my boat is only about a foot,but it's got a decent freeboard.
If I launched at Ronnies on the straits,I would stay in the straits and fish from the bar at Canearfon to The Swellies.I've got a couple of decent anchors,and there are plenty of places on the straits to fish.I've got an anchor raising bouy to yank the anchor up.
I quite fancy going out of Rhyl and fishing Colwyn bay.Every time I have passed Colwyn bay in the car it seems to be pretty calm.

Sounds like Dave would be better not living in a Log cabin lol!
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Giant Squid Hunter

Number of posts : 261
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3642

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:55 am

And I did not know that Swellmap.co.nz did reports for UK.
Allways remember that 10 knots going with the current / tide gives a very different sea than when it is against it. If there is some wind, go upwind, it is easier to get back in most boats.

I can just see Logger with a log ark built to fit his logging forewarder, even the hydraulic arm to launch it.
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict

Number of posts : 2175
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4795

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:47 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:
Allways remember that 10 knots going with the current / tide gives a very different sea than when it is against it. If there is some wind, go upwind, it is easier to get back in most boats.

I can just see Logger with a log ark built to fit his logging forewarder, even the hydraulic arm to launch it.

And his old chain saw as the figurehead sticking out the front a site for sore eyes. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:25 am

Rhod Lloyd wrote:

I didn't realise Swellmap was from NZ either Rhod,I find it covers quite a lot and is easy to understand.

I can see in my minds eye,Loggers Ark parked in Rhyl harbour next to the Suveran rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Wed Aug 02, 2017 10:27 am

Kirky's Dad wrote:
Rhod Lloyd wrote:

And his old chain saw as the figurehead sticking out the front a site for sore eyes. Very Happy

I wonder what he will call it,The good ship Venus maybe. lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:09 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
Rhod Lloyd wrote:

Think I'll call it Valvebounce then I know I'll be safe as it'll never launch lol! lol! geek
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:08 pm

Logger wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
Rhod Lloyd wrote:

Think I'll call it Valvebounce then I know I'll be safe as it'll never launch lol! lol! geek

Touche' rolling laugh boat
Wanna buy a boat? lol!
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict

Number of posts : 2175
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4795

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   Sat Aug 05, 2017 8:43 am

Logger wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Kirky's Dad wrote:
Rhod Lloyd wrote:

lol! lol! thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wind and white horses   

Back to top Go down

Wind and white horses
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Charter Boat Reports-
Jump to: