sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: Contains Nuts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Extending the transom

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

Number of posts : 593
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1235

PostSubject: Extending the transom   Sat May 06, 2017 8:55 am

I have a 18hp shortshaft Evinrude on the boat at the moment,I have just got a 25hp longshaft.
I need to add 5.5"in height to the transom.Instead of using a "Jackplate"I am adding the 5.5" right across the transom.The transom is 2.25"thick.I have laminated 3 pieces of 3/4"GRP and cut it to shape.
The boat has a splashwell,
I think the added height will be a lot safer in a following sea,with less chance of it being flooded by a choppy sea.
It will also help when launching into waves.
The 25hp is a lot heavier than the 18hp,so if it takes the stern down deeper,I am thinking of putting a sandbag in the bow to level the boat out.
Anybody already done it,or have any opinions on the idea?
The boat is a 14ft fibreglass hull with about a one foot draft.(No cuddy)It has steering and cable controls and two seats,and a covered bow bonnet.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4572
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9229

PostSubject: Re: Extending the transom   Fri May 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Get what you mean there! My 4 stroke is a lot heavier than the 2 stroke it replaced for not a lot of difference in horse power, not sure I'd want to carry a bag of sand on board but the spare anchor lives as far forward as possible and I think twice about what I carry in the blunt end, including how much I fill the fuel tank.

Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Super Star
Super Star

Number of posts : 593
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1235

PostSubject: Re: Extending the transom   Fri May 19, 2017 8:33 pm

I'm not fitting the 25hp yet,I got a modified prop for the 18hp that I haven't tried yet.
With looking at the transom height I realised I was running 2" too deep with the 18hp on.
I've added an inch piece of timber temporarily on the transom to try it.
I'll be going on the River Weaver in the week to give it a go.
I'll weigh up the level of the boat bow to stern while I'm on flat water.
After spending on the new prop I can't put the 18hp in the shed without trying it.
When I put the 25hp on it I'll need to raise the transom 5",and fabricate a steering bracket to line up with it.
But,once I've raised the transom,I won't be able to go back to a short shaft.
I'd be forever wondering if the mods on the 18hp were a success,so I'll have to try it.
I've fitted new coils,condensors,plugs and an impeller in the 18hp,it runs as sweet as a nut.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Extending the transom   

Back to top Go down

Extending the transom
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Small Boats & Kayaks-
Jump to: