HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Bass

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Bass   Bass EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 8:39 pm

Hi,

I have already caught two bass, from two different locations this year. I am not going to give out exact locations, as since taking up sea fishing, I see it is not the done thing.......even a local tackle shop not revealing the rough area they catch on the Menai Straits, even though they put pics up on a blog and happy to take money off you Rolling Eyes

Anyway, on my first ever fishing session for bass a week ago, on a beach close to Barmouth, I catch a 4 pound bass on bait. I have then caught a small, half pound bass when not targeting them, several days ago from a venue not very far from Rhyl.
It was late last summer that I started to flyfish in the sea and I only took up the traditional bait seafishing last November. On my second attempt at flyfishing for mullet I caught a small one, and then my first ever attempt at bait fishing for them I catch a 5 pound mullet. Now at the risk of sounding like a real arrogant big head, I am astonished when I meet sea anglers who claim that they have seafished for decades and not caught a mullet, or even a bass? Shocked

I always fish alone and so have not been shown the ropes, and learnt everything from books and the internet. I have learnt to tie all my own rigs and it is very rare when I don't catch. So am I just incredible lucky or is seafishing really that hard as some have you believe?

I mean its only mid April and I am a novice who has caught two bass already Laughing
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6085
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13583

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 10:23 pm

Well done you anyway I'd say!

cth
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13852

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyTue Apr 18, 2017 11:25 pm

Your obviously doing something right as well as being in the right place at the right time and the right venue thumbs up  cth
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1693
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4898

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 3:18 am

I think we can all get in a rut,using methods that we are used to that don't catch.
I started sea fishing with a mate on his boat years ago,when I look back he hadn't got a clue(bless him lol! )
We fished at Fowey,St Davids all round Anglesey and out of Conway and Abersoch.We never had much success,even though most of the places are great for fishing.
I've got my own boat this year so I'm hoping to change all that.
Like you say,the info on the net is very informative well worth a look at.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6085
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13583

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 8:15 pm

One thing to say though is that Bass often come in very close as proven time and time again by novices short casting and out catching the seasoned "I'm a caveman so I must try and hit the wind farm" approach of an angler right next to them

Back to top Go down

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyWed Apr 19, 2017 10:32 pm

Its strange, some spots I can't fail to catch and others can be hit and miss. Plenty one day and little the next in the same spot and 1/2 to an hour difference in tide time with same baits etc. You don't have to target certain species to catch them, they just gotta be there drunken

Well done on the two bass, caught my first last year and hopefully more to come. Just had my 2nd or 3rd blank in 2 years of fishing, another venue a day later and lost count of fish!
Back to top Go down

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySat Apr 22, 2017 9:38 pm

Thanks lads,

Ofcourse I know there is good amount of luck involved, but I see so many sea anglers who don't seem to think what they are doing and have a 'chuck it and chance it' attitude. I still cant believe it when I meet people who claim they have fished for many years and have not caught a bass or a mullet. I met a guy who said he could catch off a pier, but despite trying many times, could not catch a single fish off a beach Rolling Eyes

I think skills drawn from being a fly angler, have been transferred well in to my bait fishing. Things like 'matching the hatch' also hold well for the sea, and things like an emphasis on fishing light and of presentation over this obsession with distance that many seem to have confused . Very much like Mike ladles' approach and how he is not obsessed with tackle as many seem to be Mad
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 7:45 am

Well said thumbs up
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 9:43 am

I have noticed over the years that magazines,and the fishing pro's and media seem to skirt round Wales and the North and Northeast.
If you see a program on the TV it's nearly always filmed from the midlands and south and south west.
I say good luck to those that it is useful to,but often wonder why we are not included.
I used to think maybe the fishing isn't as good here as it is lower in the country,but obviously it has the same potential.
I think the lack of the fishing media coverage has left us in a rut,with a stagnation on what and how to catch.
shame really,anybody got any opinions?
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:

I think the lack of the fishing media coverage has left us in a rut,with a stagnation on what and how to catch.
shame really,anybody got any opinions?
Yeh me Exclamation
Thank goodness for Sunnyrhyl as we have it covered cheers
We have great members on here and in 99.9% of cases the questions and querys get an answer Very Happy

Great work lads and lasses keep it coming cheers
Back to top Go down

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 4:07 pm

Yes there is an obsession with the overpopulated south of England. Who knows, perhaps they are jealous? Very Happy  

We have it good in North Wales, fantastic rugged mountains, great beaches and some top class game and sea fishing. I had a book by Henry Gilbey given to me as a present, and in the back pages he lists angling destinations around the world including the British Isles. He mentions England, Ireland and Scotland but there is no mention of Wales - no mention of the quality bass fishing, no mention of the excellent sewin fishing and world class Grayling fishing. No he prefers to talk about Englands stocked lakes and chalk streams.....that awful youtube channel, the ' Totally Awesome Fishing show' it is all about the south and 'English' this and 'English' that - no mention of Scotland or Wales. He seems to rave about Ireland and includes this in destinations, but nothing about Wales, Scotland or even up North.

A bass expert has told me that he thinks that the Bass fishing in the West of Wales, is the best bass fishing in the UK. I have only just started, but I realize that the Llyn Penisula, must be one of the best sea fishing destinations in the UK.

And these sea angling magazines are a pile of boring crap anyway Razz
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 6:15 pm

Like Logger says,this is a brilliant site for info,and it looks like if we hadn't created our own site we would be
Floundering (Pun intended) lol!
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptySun Apr 23, 2017 6:19 pm

I've fished St Tudwals roads,11 species inside 3hrs.Like you say,the Llyn is brilliant.
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6433

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyTue Apr 25, 2017 6:52 am

I once caught a mullet at Barry power station, there was a large pool on the beach near the cooling outflow, I dapped a bread flake on the surface, they got wise after that one.
Saw 2 Polish men fishing alongside a boat launching ramp in SW Ireland at the head of an inlet. They were float fishing bread balls over mud just off the rod end in about 2m water, saw 2 caught in 15 minutes both at least 6lb they said some up to 10 lbs, big deep bodied fish. I cannot remember where now.
There used to be plenty of mullet in the boating pond at West Kirby, I tried floating some bread but got mobbed by seagulls. I am sure someone could outwit them with ground bait. The council workmen used to open the sluice gate untill they had enough for tea.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyThu Apr 27, 2017 1:40 pm

Fished out of St Davids little harbour,it was teeming with Mullet,fed by a little stream.
I fancied a go at the mullet with float tackle but we were there for the boat fishing,so didn't get a chance.
Same at Canaervon in the marina,it's teeming with mullet.
I believe they take off like a torpedo when they are hooked.
Back to top Go down

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyThu May 04, 2017 4:13 pm

Some of the older members might remember someone catching Mullet on garden peas.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass EmptyFri May 05, 2017 12:00 am

Tony Lever wrote:
Some of the older members might remember someone catching Mullet on garden peas.
Anyone know how Ken is doing now after his health scare Question
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Bass Empty
PostSubject: Re: Bass   Bass Empty

Back to top Go down

Bass
Page 1 of 1