4 posters
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

Number of posts : 1693
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4899

First time out trial Empty
PostSubject: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 7:28 pm

Took my boat out for the first time on the Weaver,the 18hp ran well but the boat wouldn't
get on the plane.
I think it has the wrong prop on it.I think the guy I bought it of must have had it on a heavy boat.
I can't find any specs on the prop.
It's a 1963 18hp Evinrude fastwin that I have brought back to spec.It runs and starts great.
I can't find a place here in the uk that sells the alternatives.
Anybody got any ideas where to look?
The cavity plate is spot on with the lowest part of the hull,and the hull shape is as new.
It puts out a huge wake,but won't plane.(might of been on a barge on the Trent)
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6085
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13584

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyThu Oct 06, 2016 9:38 pm

Great to know you got it on the water, guess you'll have also looked for info on a Johnson prop alternative? I'd guess there is an outboard forum somewhere that might be able to help.

I've no idea whether planing your boat is realistic on 18hp even if you play about with the trim angle or prop pitch tbh

I ditched my 1960s Evinrude / Johnson 2 stroke for a reliable Tohatsu 4 stroke of modest HP and I'm happy enough chugging about - I would like to add a power trim and tilt ( to keep the skeg clear of the beach at the push of a button more than anything) - but then the list of wants is never ending

boat

Any pics of the boat?

Ps I just put Johnson outboard forum in Google and there are quite a few hits for evinrude / Johnson forums
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 12:44 am

I was glad to have the opportunity to tell you the truth Paul,I could see the summer slipping away.It would have left me wondering all winter if I hadn't.
I put new coils,plugs and points and a new impeller in it.It runs like a dream.
I'm on an American site called boat design forums,it's worth a look if you are interested.
It goes out worldwide.I have a guy in southern Alaska and another in Washington DC on the case.They both have had the same engine years ago.They reckon it should get on the plane with the 18hp.
They have both asked for pics,and instructed from which angle to take them.
My brother is the cameraman of the family,he's coming round to take the pics.
I'll send them when he's taken them.
The boat isn't anything special,but it's presentable,got nice lines,suits my storage space and suits my pocket.A bigger boat would be too hard to handle launching etc.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13853

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 5:42 pm

Well done on getting out even if it wasn't ideal thumbs up
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9887

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 7:06 pm

Well done mate for giving it ago cheers
its only a matter of time before it all falls
into place Rock on
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyFri Oct 07, 2016 8:51 pm

Thanks lads,
we had an audience(just when we could have done without it)
first launch,first time testing the method,no room for mistakes Haha.
I fell on my behind in the boat because of my wonky foot,luckily I'm too long in the tooth
to get embarassed.
I was glad the engine started no probs,that would have put the top hat on it. rolling laugh
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 6:29 pm

After hours of searching I found a company in Michigan USA that gave me the details of the correct prop,there's a choice of two,depending on how quick you want to get on the plane.
I chose the 12ft to 14ft boat length,rather then the 14ft to 16ft boatlength.
Seeing as the boat has no cuddy and is quite light,I opted for that.
Once boats reach 15ft (like a seahog)they weigh twice or more than what my boat weighs.
I am taking the old prop off to see if I can find the numbers on it.
The guy I bought the engine of had it on the Trent,so it may have been on a heavier houseboat or even a barge.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 8:49 pm

Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9887

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptySun Oct 09, 2016 9:29 pm

Great result stan happy days cheers
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 12:04 am

stevo wrote:
Great result stan happy days cheers

It was bugging me Steve,didn't want to spend until next season wondering.
I ran both engines out of petrol for the winter,it empties the carbs of 2 stroke residue.
If you use the stop button,it leaves the carbs full.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 12:09 am

Notbad wrote:
Keep us posted!

Our kid came round and took some pics,he sent them to this laptop,but I'll have to use my PC
to send them.
This laptop is using UBUNTU,and it's a pain to transfer pics.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 4:24 pm

Notbad wrote:
Keep us posted!

So what are the specs for your boat Paul?

I think I've decided on a prop.
The one on it is 9.25" dia x11" pitch.

I think I will get a 9"dia x 9"pitch.It should bring the rev capability up by 300rpm to 400rpm max.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 5:22 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Notbad wrote:
Keep us posted!

So what are the specs for your boat Paul?

I think I've decided on a prop.
The one on it is 9.25" dia x11" pitch.

I think I will get a 9"dia x 9"pitch.It should bring the rev capability up by 300rpm to 400rpm max.

Put it his way it looks big on the drive but parked next to a Warrior it suddenly looks tiny!

Took me a year to strip out and rebuild the way I wanted it

First time out trial Towing2
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyMon Oct 10, 2016 10:57 pm

I'll try again to post the link to a report with a pic of my boat.

https://sunnyrhyl.forumotion.com/t5209-a-run-on-the-banks

It's about time I did some more on the model I'm building of her, promise I'll try and do something to report soon
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyTue Oct 11, 2016 1:15 am

Notbad wrote:

It's about time I did some more on the model I'm building of her, promise I'll try and do something to report soon
The boat looks great Paul,you can't beat customising them yourself.
It's a pain when the weather restricts getting them out.
Mine has no cuddy,so it's a bit of a fairweather boat.
I let the deck get a bit cluttered when I took mine out last week too much rope, unclipped paddles and a loose spare seat.
I was glad I tried it on the river and not the sea.But,it's a learning curve,so I suppose it helps for the future.
I need to use my PC to put the pics up,this laptop is on UBUNTU,which is a pain to send pics on.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyWed Oct 12, 2016 10:22 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Notbad wrote:

The boat looks great Paul,you can't beat customising them yourself.
It's a pain when the weather restricts getting them out.
Mine has no cuddy,so it's a bit of a fairweather boat.
I let the deck get a bit cluttered when I took mine out last week too much rope, unclipped paddles and a loose spare seat.
I was glad I tried it on the river and not the sea.But,it's a learning curve,so I suppose it helps for the future.

I need to use my PC to put the pics up,this laptop is on UBUNTU,which is a pain to send pics on.

Cheers.
Sure is a learning curve, I really enjoyed thinking through engineering mine to work for me in exactly the way I envisaged, virtually everything on the boat has a back up ( oars and a tow rope in the case of the engine) I built in additional buoyancy and stuff is stowed away. In a small boat it's too all easy for things to get untidy quickly and become a risk.
A throw line, flares and anything else that might need locating quickly in an emergency is marked in yellow or orange.

If you email me a pic of your boat I'll put one on for you.
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Legend
VALVEBOUNCE

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 3:01 am

Have I got your email address,?
My brother has the pics stored on his PC,so he can send me them by email,and I can forward them on to you.
I've got a project boat in my back garden,it's 14ft fibreglass,I have stripped every bit of timber off it,including the main stringers and upper and lower futtocks.I've replaced the stringers and lower futtocks,and the gunnels.I completely replaced the transom and glassed it in.
The upper futtocks are cut ready to go in.
I sheeted it up last year,I got this boat so I could get on the water because it was taking too long to finish it.
Looks like I will end up giving it away or scrapping it.I have the trailer,which is quite good.
I converted the wheels from classic mini wheels to micra wheels.I had to re-drill the backplates
to change the PCD's and use wheel spacers to get the wheels out further to get the stubs out of the wheel cavities.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 7:26 am

To email choose member list from the top of the page find my user name choose contact member and use the email option

Or just click on my username by my photo to the left of this post and then contact and choose email
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyThu Oct 13, 2016 7:18 pm

Got your private message, have sent you one back and an email
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial EmptyFri Oct 14, 2016 9:00 pm

Photos of Valvebounce's boat

First time out trial C93c48cff900b137897845b834b577ee_zpst0siq9mt

First time out trial 899f51297feba4334c23b5cec4330942_zpsjpitpi03

First time out trial 09d44e731dee5a2e2df6d129895965d6_zpswqfu30cn

First time out trial 8112bb5b4fbad3e61262172f2b6f394b_zpsp034ivtp
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First time out trial   First time out trial Empty

Back to top Go down

First time out trial
Page 1 of 1