sunnyrhyl.com

Warning May Contain Nuts
 
HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 
 

 Spinning rod capabilities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
VALVEBOUNCE
Bass Hunter


Number of posts : 547
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1127
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:41 am

I have recently bought an 8ft shimano spinning rod,casting weight 5-35gm

On the write ups I've read about them they can handle big Pike and various sea fish.

Some kayakers say they are pretty good.

I might be being left behind by modern materials,but looking at the rod I'm not sure if it will be up to it.

If it works like thay say,then I can see it would be very easy to use on the boat and inland.

Anybody using one?
Back to top Go down
stevo
Tackle Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 3358
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7200
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:38 pm

You'd be amazed what modern rods can handle mate cth
what model is it Question

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter
avatar

Number of posts : 5815
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9790
Location : Colwyn Bay/Eskdale

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:33 pm

On board Suveran I managed to "haul" up a 7lb Huss with a spinning rod with a 3oz rating for casting, with it came the 6oz gripper and rig etc on my other rod that the fish had taken in the first place before becoming entangled on my light gear affraid
I was sure it would snap as it was bent double but it was absolutely fine Very Happy

The little reel however is now buggered Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
avatar

Number of posts : 2114
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4674
Location : Stafford, Staffordshire

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:59 pm

[quote="

The little reel however is now buggered Crying or Very sad [/quote]

A bit like it's owner no doubt. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Online
VALVEBOUNCE
Bass Hunter


Number of posts : 547
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1127
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:08 pm

Logger wrote:
On board Suveran I managed to "haul" up a 7lb Huss with a spinning rod with a 3oz rating for casting, with it came the 6oz gripper and rig etc on my other rod that the fish had taken in the first place before becoming entangled on my light gear affraid
I was sure it would snap as it was bent double but it was absolutely fine Very Happy

The little reel however is now buggered Crying or Very sad

Sorry about your reel,but it's nice to know my rod is up to it.
I've got a build up of heavy spinning reels,I bought one at Decathalon in Stockport,then the following week
I went back and bought a big beachcaster rod with one the same on it as part of the deal.
I use a shimano now.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Tackle Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 3358
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7200
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:13 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Logger wrote:
On board Suveran I managed to "haul" up a 7lb Huss with a spinning rod with a 3oz rating for casting, with it came the 6oz gripper and rig etc on my other rod that the fish had taken in the first place before becoming entangled on my light gear affraid
I was sure it would snap as it was bent double but it was absolutely fine Very Happy

The little reel however is now buggered Crying or Very sad

Sorry about your reel,but it's nice to know my rod is up to it.
I've got a build up of heavy spinning reels,I bought one at Decathalon in Stockport,then the following week
I went back and bought a big beachcaster rod with one the same on it as part of the deal.
I use  a shimano now.

Decathalon is cheap but their own tackle is crap Sad

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Bass Hunter


Number of posts : 547
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1127
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:23 pm

stevo wrote:
You'd be amazed what modern rods can handle mate   cth
what model is it Question

I can't remember the model Steve,but I paid £25 for it.One of the reasons I bought it was the well cushioned and beefy reel winch seat,I've had a couple of nice rods in the past,but the reels seats weren't up to it.

I got a couple of reel seats off ebay,and made a couple of "kayak size" rods up from a couple of old rods I had.
Thought they might be handy to dangle over the side of the boat while i've got the other rods out.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Tackle Guru
avatar

Number of posts : 3358
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7200
Location : manchester

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:29 pm

VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
You'd be amazed what modern rods can handle mate   cth
what model is it Question

I can't remember the model Steve,but I paid £25 for it.One of the reasons I bought it was the well cushioned and beefy reel winch seat

It sounds like a SHIMANO ALIVIO is it blue,white and black with a cork handle?

_________________
Fishing magazine super star lol...................
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Bass Hunter


Number of posts : 547
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1127
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:33 pm

stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
Logger wrote:
On board Suveran I managed to "haul" up a 7lb Huss with a spinning rod with a 3oz rating for casting, with it came the 6oz gripper and rig etc on my other rod that the fish had taken in the first place before becoming entangled on my light gear affraid
I was sure it would snap as it was bent double but it was absolutely fine Very Happy

The little reel however is now buggered Crying or Very sad

Sorry about your reel,but it's nice to know my rod is up to it.
I've got a build up of heavy spinning reels,I bought one at Decathalon in Stockport,then the following week
I went back and bought a big beachcaster rod with one the same on it as part of the deal.
I use  a shimano now.

Decathalon is cheap but their own tackle is crap Sad

I know what you mean,I give it amiss these days
Back to top Go down
VALVEBOUNCE
Bass Hunter


Number of posts : 547
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1127
Location : MANCHESTER

PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:46 pm

stevo wrote:
VALVEBOUNCE wrote:
stevo wrote:
You'd be amazed what modern rods can handle mate   cth
what model is it Question

I can't remember the model Steve,but I paid £25 for it.One of the reasons I bought it was the well cushioned and beefy reel winch seat

It sounds like a SHIMANO ALIVIO is it blue,white and black with a cork handle?

Just got it out and had a look,it is the Alivio DX 240.

I bought a couple of fineffe ontario's as well,one is 2.1 mtres the other is 1.9 metres,thought they might be handy for my brother to use when we go out.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Spinning rod capabilities   

Back to top Go down
 
Spinning rod capabilities
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: General Stuff :: Tackle Reviews And Questions, Ideas-
Jump to: