3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6462

New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. Empty
PostSubject: New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.   New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 5:21 am

Yesterday I bit the bullet and bought myself a new (as above), I have had a small Garmin depth sounder for a few years, but I still waste time finding a couple of spots I fish, especially one channel in our harbour. also sometimes if it is foggy even finding the other side of the main channel, all of 300 yards can be a challenge. A straight wake is only straight if you can see enough of it.
This fishfinder has a new feature, only trialled in NZ, It lets you find the fish, and put the cursor on it, then you press catch and it sends a pulse down which stuns the fish. Then all you have to do is wait for it to float to the surface and scoop it up.
Unfortunately it does not work too well on catch and release. It sure saves all that effort of rigging rods, getting your hands dirty, and wasting good work time while on the water!
They do not intend to release it in Europe, as experience has shown your collective habit of rape and pillage. Anyway it does not work on small fish!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.   New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. EmptyWed Jul 08, 2015 6:37 am

God help any scuba divers lol!
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13629

PostSubject: Re: New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.   New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 9:32 pm

Not cheap chart plotters are they!

Haven't got one myself just a "fish finder" ( depth sounder) and a compass but stay fairly close in. I've also the first car  satnav I bought when hardly anyone knew what they were, with a massive 2 inch screen it's not much use at sea but it does tell me how slow I'm going!

Basically I rely on lining up landmarks and wind turbines but I don't venture all that far.

My current car satnav is now 5 years old and due for replacing, it's a garmin nuvi 205w with a card slot on the side, if anyone knows if it will read a marine card via the slot I'd be delighted to hear about it.

I've also an old smart phone which won't work as a phone as the microphone is shot but I should get around to loading a chartplotter ap on it
Back to top Go down
Rhod Lloyd
Fishing Addict
Rhod Lloyd

Number of posts : 617
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6462

PostSubject: New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.   New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 11:12 pm

It is actually a Lowrance Elite 5 inch GPS dual imaging fishfinder combo, with up to 3 split screens. we have an online tackle store here called Marine deals, but as their showroom is in Auckland 45 mins away, I called in and picked it up, (good excuse to trial my new 50 Quid Tomtom sat nav) They had it on special for about 300 Quid plus another hundred for the chart. It is more than I actually need, but a small simple combo would have been more than half this. We have to spend our money before the bloody kids get it anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.   New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc. Empty

Back to top Go down

New fishfinder, chartplotter, etc.
Page 1 of 1