sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: May Contain Nuts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Freshly pumped lug info

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4493
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9080

PostSubject: Re: Freshly pumped lug info   Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:46 pm

If you mean keeping them alive whilst pumping it's not a problem,
Have small holes in the bucket so water and sand can fall out, but not so large the worm can get through don't be adding more sand or water or you'll struggle to carry it. if fishing straight away they will live on fine no problem.

To keep them alive afterwards a fridge helps, some people dry them off a bit with an old towel but then wrap them tightly in newspaper. They don't want to be too wet when wrapping in the paper and you need enough paper to absorb any more juice.

Some store in saw dust. I believe you need sawdust from untreated wood.

Some like to squeeze the juice out first, some don't bother.

I believe you can keep alive them in shallow trays of sea water for a while though

The yellow liquid is rich in iodide ( or is it iodine I can never remember ) and is an antiseptic but stains your fingers so you might like to wear gloves!

I once read on another forum that some of the grunge they eject is eggs in an attempt to save their species but I've no idea if that is right.

Lug have been used to produce artificial blood it's much richer than natural human blood

I'm rubbish at pumping though so what do I know!

Back to top Go down
longranger
Legend

Number of posts : 1679
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4792

PostSubject: Re: Freshly pumped lug info   Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:54 pm

If pumping blacks then squeeze the head end to remove the guts and put in the bucket with holes in like Paul said then once you have enough for what you want rinse sand off once then get them as dry as you can as quick as you can without them touching each other if you poss as the firm flesh turns to mush quite quickly,will keep in the fridge for a few days or longer with a re-wrap of paper or freeze for the future,if it's blow lug then don't gut just keep in paper for a couple of days or been told you can keep these longer in fresh sea water with regular changes

Also not great at this but it works for me, I live about 40 mins from where I pump so need to dry and wrap before I travel or no good by the time I get home
Back to top Go down
longranger
Legend

Number of posts : 1679
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4792

PostSubject: Re: Freshly pumped lug info   Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:20 pm

There are blow and blacks on both them beaches blow normally found near the high water mark and look like big piles of dog s**t with a small blow hole about 6-10 inches away the blacks and yellow tails are normally found towards the low water mark and look generally a more tighter-continuous cast with no visible blow hole on most beaches can only be pumped on a biggish tide at low water I was told anything below a 1.5 meter and find the first half hour of the flood easiest but watch the gullies filling up behind you
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

Number of posts : 5820
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9801

PostSubject: Re: Freshly pumped lug info   Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:38 pm

Talking with Dogger the other day and he pointed out how your cuts and stabs from hook points don't go bad due to the iodine in lug which gets all over your hands Exclamation

Seems to be right as I'm always stabbing my fingers especially when I'm on Simon's boat (but that could be down to his bad driving lol! )
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Freshly pumped lug info   

Back to top Go down

Freshly pumped lug info
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: General Stuff :: Tackle Reviews And Questions, Ideas-
Jump to: