sunnyrhyl.com

The Number One Fishing Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New Reel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Messiah
He's not the Messiah He's a very naughty boy

Number of posts : 314
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 1736

PostSubject: New Reel   Tue May 05, 2015 10:38 pm

Ok so some good feedback on the rod, so let's throw the reel in the mix. I have been using a tf gear delta gt10000. Very nice smooth fixed spool reel. But now need a new one. I was thinking of buying another but any advice on alternative fixed spool will be taken into account. study
Back to top Go down
stevo
Tackle Guru

Number of posts : 3282
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7045

PostSubject: Re: New Reel   Tue May 05, 2015 10:48 pm

In my eyes theirs only 2 fixed spool reels

1st (I use)
SHIMANO AERLEX 7000/8000 XSA REEL

Or the Akios Scora 80 Long Range Fixed Spool Surf Reel

both very good reels  Very Happy  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4432
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8934

PostSubject: Re: New Reel   Tue May 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Disappointed with the ( lack of ) longevity of the gears on my previous Penn Surfmasters ( before they brought out the surf blaster)
I added a Shimano Ultegra XSB 14000 fixed spool to the Century,

it's a big reel that holds enough line to reach Dublin, being big it might detract a little from the grace of the Century LD but it's been bullet proof for 3 years and the gears have enough grunt to bring in 250 yards of line when I do the open the bail arm and retreat over the gulley thing, I try to let the rod do the work on the retrieve with a "pump and wind" but even so I like a strong reel and I'm happy with this combination- not sure of current prices but talking a combined cost of about £500 3 years ago.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Tackle Guru

Number of posts : 3282
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7045

PostSubject: Re: New Reel   Tue May 05, 2015 11:02 pm

Notbad wrote:
Disappointed with the ( lack of ) longevity of the gears on my previous Penn Surfmasters ( before they brought out the surf blaster)
I added a Shimano Ultegra XSB 14000 fixed spool to the Century,

it's a big reel that holds enough line to reach Dublin, being big it might detract a little from the grace of the Century LD but it's been bullet proof for 3 years and the gears have enough grunt to bring in 250 yards of line when I do the open the bail arm and retreat over the gulley thing, I try to let the rod do the work on the retrieve with a "pump and wind" but even so I like a strong reel and I'm happy with this combination- not sure of current prices but talking a combined cost of about £500 3 years ago.

That's a big reel (a good reel but big) I like the 7000/8000 sizes the penn's are also cracking reels Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4432
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8934

PostSubject: Re: New Reel   Tue May 05, 2015 11:24 pm

With a new reel and a new rod you may need a new tripod of course

( seriously you wouldn't want it to fall over and break your rod would you!)
I use the blue Salt adjusting one, but I took the side bars off they were just a nuisance and added a simple cross piece fastened in place with pipe clips when I feel it's needed such as when fishing off concrete
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New Reel   

Back to top Go down

New Reel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: General Stuff :: Tackle Reviews And Questions, Ideas-
Jump to: