4 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6091
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13615

Newbie from Manchester Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:41 pm

Welcome to the site!
I've moved your question to sea fishing chat rather than shore reports but don't worry about it!

If you would like a Bass fish the beach rather than the harbour, the first part of the flood tide in Kinmel Bay can be very good but you need to watch the gullies filling faster than you think and there are areas of soft sand and mud so I'd give High tide a go to start with then you can relax and get the hang of things. Take a look at the beach say three hours before High and work out where you think looks likely, though with the Summer a coming you might have to compete with paddlers,  if all else fails just try straight behind the camp.

Lug is favourite bait and don't worry about casting distance Bass come in close, especially at either end of the day. Use main line of say 15lb but you must tie on a shockleader of 10lb breaking  strain for every oz of lead weight you are using,
I tend to use a 5oz grip lead and a pulley rig, a hook size of between size 2 or 1/0  but a spinning rod with a 1 oz plain lead and a running ledger could be just as much fun, especially for a seven year old.
You could try a drop it down the wall approach in the harbour but I'm not familiar with how it fishes since the remodelling of it. Some have fun with flounder upstream of the blue bridge ( Headwyn is the expert on that one!)
Also
Acquaint yourself with what a weever is or learn the hard way!
Let us know. How you get on and feel free to ask questions, we like pretending we know what we are on about!

Reel wise I'd say use a fixed spool initially ( a multiplier is more likely to spoil your day) on a rod suitable for fixed spool Geoffs on Wellington Road or Foxons up in St Asaph will help you choose gear and unlike the internet you can get the feel of it before you decide.
A tripod or sand spike is needed really but I'd keep things simple to start with, if the passion sticks you can get all the gear once you've got an idea of what you are doing.

Last edited by Notbad on Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 2:55 pm

Have you done any sort of fishing before?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:08 pm

Oops I locked this thread in error, now unlocked. ( thanks to Headwyn for tipping me off that it was locked by mistake!)
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

Number of posts : 3613
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9908

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:09 pm

Welcome to the site mate what part of Manchester
Are you from? Very Happy

For a cheap starter kit try roxy angling in Ashton
He'll(John) will do you a rod,reel and a few bits and bobs for £50 Very Happy

Last edited by stevo on Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:12 pm

Welcome ...from a fellow mancunian.
I been at it about four years, and I still don't know what I'm doing! But it's great to av a go. All but on a wing and a prayer... And a good dose of luck. lol! The guys on here are fantastic with local knowledge, tips and great banter. Oh.. And then there's Logger!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:17 pm

I think that's 4 of us now syd with me,you,messiah and now woolylee60 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:21 pm

stevo wrote:
I think that's 4 of us now syd with me,you,messiah and now woolylee60 Very Happy

And I used to live in Manchester but I'm alright now!
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:22 pm

4 1/2 then syd lol!
Back to top Go down
headwyn
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
headwyn

Number of posts : 2016
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8044

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:23 pm

Hi Lee,

Glad you followed my first bit of advice and joined us here cheers

Firstly, have a walk to Geoffs next to the Royal Oak. They will be able to kit you out for a decent price.

I havent fished in the harbour since the recent changes ( new bridge etc ) but will be trying it out in the next few weeks as crab become readily available.

Keep an eye out for people fishing and go and have a chat, see what they are doing and what sort of rigs they are using. Rigs can be bought pre tied so you dont have to worry about the fine details just yet.

As already mentioned, watch the gullies at Kinmel Bay as they can flood behind you and cut you off in minutes!

If i am heading out locally in the next few weeks, i will let you know so you can come down and see what we are doing and if you fancy it, lend some gear off us and have a go with your lad.

Kev.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13874

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:41 pm

syd wrote:
 The guys on here are fantastic with local knowledge, tips and great banter. Oh.. And then there's Logger!!! affraid

Oi Exclamation

Welcome to the forum Lee you'll get loads of advice and some top tips on here and hopefully we'll get you that first fish Very Happy
We havnt managed to get Syd his yet but we're working on it Razz

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 7:45 pm

I Need a better teacher... lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 8:09 pm

Oh Manchester is wonderful..............
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 8:27 pm

Hope you Mancunians are coming on the shell island jolly Question
Stevo isn't too keen as there's nowhere for him to plug in his hairdryer and curling tongs Exclamation

Fancy a weekend camp with your lad Lee Question Or the whole family if you like Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 8:33 pm

[quote="Logger"]Hope you Mancunians are coming on the shell island jolly Question
Stevo isn't too keen as there's nowhere for him to plug in his hairdryer and curling tongs Exclamation

It's all true lol! lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 8:40 pm

Messiah wrote:
Oh Manchester is wonderful..............

Bang on..! beer
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 9:22 pm

Welcome mate,the guys on here will help you enjoy your fishing Very Happy
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 10:19 pm

Your only down the road from me(gorton) and I think syd is from fallowfield
if your unsure what to buy I can meet you one weekend at roxy angling to
show you what to get. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyTue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 pm

stevo wrote:

Are you still on commission Question
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 5:30 am

stevo wrote:

I'm in failsworth stevo..
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 6:09 am

syd wrote:
stevo wrote:

Does that make you a worthy failure Question
Back to top Go down
stevo
Swordfish Hunter
stevo

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 6:53 am

syd wrote:
stevo wrote:

I was close lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Newbie from Manchester   Newbie from Manchester Empty

Back to top Go down