sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: Contains Nuts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Stainless steel

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
wetlegs
Dab Hunter

Number of posts : 39
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2102

PostSubject: Stainless steel   Tue May 20, 2014 10:29 am

Hiya all, does anyone know where i can get some custom made stainless steel handrails for my boat. Any help would be much appreciated.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4568
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9220

PostSubject: Re: Stainless steel   Tue May 20, 2014 7:50 pm

I built the rails on mine myself using marine grade stainless steel fittings via eBay from ride the waves chandlery,  they've an on line shop too I think.

You've a choice of tube and fittings between 1 inch or 7/8 inch diameter, the fittings come in a variety of types and are push fitted together and held with grub screws ( no welding required ) I used a dab of thread lock for extra piece of mind. you can decide on your own design and change things if need be, the joint fittings are not cheap though at about 11 quid a time. When cutting the tubes I measured three times, marked up where to cut with tape and used an angle grinder.

I squirted oil inside my rails hoping it will act as a sort of underseal and I filled the tubes with strips of Eva foam -from a yoga mat - thinking being notbad 1 might sink slower that way if the steel tubes aren't watertight!!

I braced underneath the rail footings in various ways to spread the load and avoid strain on the fibre glass gunwales when grabbing the rail and heaving yourself in.

Mistake I made was not using marine quality stainless bolts to secure the rail footings and the bolts are rusting already.

There are possibilities with plumbing bits but whether they are up to the job is something else.

I plan to move the axle back on my trailer, which means the taller bit of my rails ( which make me feel a lot more secure given the lack of freeboard ) will make it difficult to stand on the wheel arch and get my leg over ( stop sniggering Logger ! ) the rail, so before moving the axle I'm going to be making the top rail hinge - using a Bimini fitting-

You might find it easier and cheaper to just buy ready made or used parts to be perfectly honest but if you want an unusual design I really rate the ride the waves chandlery bits.

I went for 7/8 inch to reduce the weight a bit and you can find various things to fit, eg instead of adding more weight with tube end stops I ebayed  again and found some plastic steel chair leg bungs that fit a treat, I've spent hours thinking about the engineering on my rails - pondering things like allowing room for rowlocks, rod holders etc, all part of the fun!

Oh and 7/8 is the same size as things like many motorbike handle bar risers and handlebar ends as well as some drum kit fittings so there is scope for being creative but salt water takes no prisoners.
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder

Number of posts : 5933
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10037

PostSubject: Re: Stainless steel   Tue May 20, 2014 8:10 pm

Notbad wrote:
thinking being notbad 1 might sink slower that way if the steel tubes aren't watertight!!

Cancel my trip  Shocked 
Back to top Go down
wetlegs
Dab Hunter

Number of posts : 39
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 2102

PostSubject: Re: Stainless steel   Tue May 20, 2014 8:59 pm

Logger wrote:
Notbad wrote:
thinking being notbad 1 might sink slower that way if the steel tubes aren't watertight!!

Cancel my trip  Shocked 

Thanks for that indepth reply but i think it maybe to much work for myself. To busy. But i'l check out the chandler on ebay. cheers Notbad
Back to top Go down
Logger
The Organ Grinder

Number of posts : 5933
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10037

PostSubject: Re: Stainless steel   Tue May 20, 2014 10:12 pm

Notbad wrote:

get my leg over ( stop sniggering Logger ! )

Now would I  Question 
I'm just impressed that at your age you can get it up at all let alone get it over  Exclamation  Razz 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stainless steel   

Back to top Go down

Stainless steel
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Sea Fishing Chat-
Jump to: