sunnyrhyl.com

Warning: May Contain Nuts

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New to sea shore fishing

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ianroberts
Conger Hunter

Number of posts : 744
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3754

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:35 pm

Fair play, your planning well ahead ! well done on your joining the throng of madmen !

Legend

Number of posts : 1679
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4791

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:52 pm

welcome to the forum mate,keep in eye on this forum and you can learn a lot from reading other peoples reports,reply and ask questions and then around the time of fishing ask the locals advice on place,tides,and bait as it can all change within a few days, good luck and happy fishing
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

Number of posts : 5820
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9800

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:16 pm

Welcome to the forum  cheers 
Its informative and friendly, if you don't mind having your leg pulled  lol! 
There's lots of lads on here who can give you great information  Exclamation 
Well a couple  Exclamation
Well one  Exclamation 
Maybe  Suspect 
 Razz 
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4491
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9077

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:41 pm

Welcome to SunnyRhyl ( and beyond)

Feathering for Mackerel isn't impossible there but it's a bit hit and miss when they are about from the shore and a bit shallow, I'd gen up on bait fishing if I were you
( use lugworm) and you have every chance of a Bass  - then you'll be really hooked.

PS stick to High Tide at first until you've studied how the tide floods from Low where you intend to fish, it can be sneaky.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:18 pm

I'll let you have a detailed reply before long Surprised 
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:11 pm

If you're getting your Bass from the supermarket then your recipes are fantastic with lemon, pepper and so on but if you get one fresh from the beach caught by yourself then it wont need any seasoning believe me  Very Happy   santa
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:26 pm

First thing is you don't need to cast far, Bass come in close, I'd suggest using either a spinning or bass rod with a running ledger and a lugworm on a size 2 hook earlyin the year and a bigger hook, say a 1/0 in the autumn, a 1 oz lead will flick out quite far and bump around searching the hollows where a bass might lurk,

Alternatively a beach caster say 15 lb main line on the reel and a pulley rig on the end - readily available in tackle shops, a 5 ounce grip lead covers most situations,
But between your main line and your rig you need a shock leader or the force of casting will snap your line and the lead weight will end up buried in someone's head,
I favour tapered shock leaders for bass fishing they are typically 15 lb breaking straight at the end you tie to your main line ( therefore easier to knot and it makes a smaller neater knot) but tapering up to about 60lb breaking strain at the business end your hook rig is attached to, conventional wisdom is about 10lb of breaking strain per 1 oz of lead weight,  beyond this there are myriads of options, gadgets, theories, fashions and possibilities, just remember all the fish is interested in is your lugworm it doesn't know how much you've spent on shiny gear,
One other thing, if you are going to fish in August swot up on what a weever fish looks like or it will end in tears!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Paul you have a gift of making something simple sound really complicated  lol! 
Have you been talking to Simon Parry  Question   lol! 
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:05 pm

logger wrote:
Paul you have a gift of making something simple sound really complicated  lol! 
Have you been talking to Simon Parry  Question   lol! 

Of course if you copy Logger you will feel the need to thread about a hundred beads on as well...

Simplified instructions: put bait on hook and chuck it out  study 
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:31 pm

Notbad wrote:

if you copy Logger you will feel the need  to thread about a hundred beads on as well...

Your giving away all my secrets  lol!
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:24 pm

If you find a good way to swap your line let us all know cos when ive done it its a REEL pain  Sad 
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:15 pm

What colour beads?  And what size and do you use floating beads, sinking beads, rattling beads, beads with spots, light Spangly beads or a combination of beads and on and on. It's enough to bring me out in beads of sweat,

Next time you go to the tackle shop ask them what their sharpest pair of scissors is and test them by cutting up your credit card before it's too late!

However depending on what price bracket you are playing in and whether you have a fixed spool reel or a multiplier I'd suggest a spare spool or second reel rather than taking off perfectly good line if you might want it again.

When you venture out to the low tide mark locally look at your feet, you will see the casts of the lugworm beds the fish are feeding over, most shore anglers locally are using lug worm for a reason

Not saying lures don't work around here, in fact they suddenly got fashionable at Prestatyn Sailing Club this year fishing off the boats out over the sandbanks but before you starting chucking £12 or more lures at the sea I'd get used to playing with 30p lug worms first if I were you!

If you do wear yourself out trying lures off our beaches do tell us if it pays off, you might start a trend

The bass on my avatar was caught locally off the beach and it was caught on lug, on a pulley rig and no added beads, it'll do for me.

Mind you I've caught naff all else, I suspect the fish don't read the same fishing books as me
Back to top Go down
Logger
Great White Hunter

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:33 pm

I like the illuminous beads to attract the all inquisitive flattys with a floating bead near the hook to stop the bait sinking into the mud or soft sand but I think this method is only any good for the flattys as it would probably scare anything else off  Exclamation 
Except Whiting of course  lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to sea shore fishing   

Back to top Go down

New to sea shore fishing
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Sea Fishing Chat-
Jump to: