Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1317
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6674

help or just an excuse  Empty
PostSubject: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 11:44 pm

Over the last few months I have noticed that allot of anglers are saying they need to buy new tackle or cast further it makes me laugh as I am A decent caster ( I cast pendulum style ) and on occasions its helped me casting 165 yards before any one makes remarks that that's not A good cast mine was with bait + regularly but other times I am sure it has also made me miss loads of chances as others have caught good fish only 10-50 yrds out as I myself have on occasions My opinion is get to know the beaches +conditions + bait which produce the fish at the venus you choose I improved my casting by practice + the need to reach certain spots on beaches I fish eg,( rough ground + gullies ) on the local splash beaches YES I agree to distance being A big factor in field casting + if and when needed on the beach but come on its A poor excuse for not catching fish lets hear your opinions Wink
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13629

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 12:53 am

If the waves are stirring up food close in why would the fish be far out unless it is real shallow or bright, beginners luck often means a fish caught close in on a short cast, but the man thing means trying to hitthe horizon.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:47 am

I agree with you Clive its another string to you're bow as they say. Close in works well on the day , and blasting it out works on another day depending on the state of the sea . I can do just over 100 yards pendulum with bait, but I can do that with an over head thump as well , need more time to practice pendulum on the grass. Last time I practiced I used a tennis ball on the end of my line to slow the swing down wile practicing. 165 175 yards with a baited rig is excellent cheers cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 6:38 pm

As said earlier look for features on the beach that will hold fish,gullies rocks etc,most of the time they are within 100 yds quite reachable with overhead cast.I've hit over 200yds with a pendulum and not far off with off the ground but what is the use when the fish are within 50 yds of the surf. Cool Cool
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13881

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 10:29 pm

When fishing with my boys on several occasions they have made a short cast only to be told by me (the expert) that the cast was no good and they should try again, which they dont and more often than not it has resulted in a catch for them !

As for fancy new expensive tackle i suppose its all good and well but i believe as long as you have sharp hooks and good bait presentation you'll get by just fine Wink
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 9:08 am

All depends on the caster the outfit the conditions and the rig not to mention the bait plus its presentation Exclamation
my rig of preference for long range casting is a long range bomber with slim but juicy lug to cut down on any wind resistance cyclops
Dont know for sure how far i can get with it but with ideal conditions and a good POWER cast putting a good bend in the rod making it work an all that (thanks Joe for showing me how) i can reach a distance of 140 or so and ive only basic gear and dont get a lot of practice unlike congerman who's down there most days honing his skills so we mustn't be too quick to judge Suspect
Cos if a tosser like me can do it given the right conditions then who knows what can be achieved lol!
All the best.
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 4:04 pm

Dont think he need worry to much Arrow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=KMy2-EgS3j0
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help or just an excuse    help or just an excuse  Empty

Back to top Go down

help or just an excuse
Page 1 of 1