sunnyrhyl.com

The Home of Fishing

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Alarms

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Kirky's Dad

Number of posts : 2472
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 5647

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 pm

I have been meaning for some time to start a topic on ALARMS for sea fishing and now Tony has bought the subject up in another mail I will take my opportunity.

What do you think of alarms, bells, tin cans and anything else that can indicate a bit?

Do you use one and if so which one?

Is it any good?

If you do use one why, and if you don't why not?

I personally do use one the same one as Tony the Seabite. I find it very good. When I came back to fishing after many years away it was to sea fishing and with the long rods on tripods looking at the tip all the time and also looking up into a bright sky or even the sun it did my head in and gave me a stiff neck. So I tried a bell now this worked ok but give a lot of false alarms wind and sea movement, it could also be heard all over the beach no very good. Then I read in one of the Mags. about the Seabite, they gave it a good write up so I sent for one over a year ago now, and like Tony I love it. It does what it says on the tin. It is quite unless I get a bite or knock the rod, it does false alarm if it is very windy so I just turn it off, but it does a good job 95% of the time. I no longer have to look at the tip all the time only if I want to so no more eye strain and no more stiff necks, I am able to bait up another rig or make a cuppa, chat to a mate and never miss a bite. They cost £14 with P&P from Seabite and to be quite honest it makes it a lot easier a days fishing than having to stare at that tip all the time and after dark they are great as the alarm has a light that flashes when you get a bit.
Back to top Go down
Logger
ADMIN
Logger

Number of posts : 6769
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 11852

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 9:12 pm

I use an led tip light i cant stand those silly bells it sounds like santa is coming !!!
BAH HUMBUG.
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1184
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4692

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:35 pm

I recently watched two anglers fishing next to me with the traffic light ones (green then red )when they had A bite it was hilarious watching them keep striking every min and nothing there Laughing I was just using my head lamp to watch my tips and I had more fish as I only moved to positive bites by the end of the x2 hrs They had A couple of fish I had A few dogfish and some decent whiting and A sore sides with laughing at them cursing at how many bites they were missing Surprised I personally think most of the bites they were missing were small whiting and crabs because there baits were coming back reasonably good condition I don't condemn the tip lights as I use them when fishing in the dark at low water for bass + I am sure it has helped me catch many cautious bass close in in the gullies that would of not come in if I had my head torch on even though mine is always on low as for bells OK A church lol!
Back to top Go down

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 10:46 pm

the best bite indicator is to hold the rod not all ways possable as for the bells il say no more.
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1184
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4692

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Oct 10, 2012 11:09 pm

just remembered this one I was fishing on Blackpool pier (norh) years ago with my mate and A guy was using A bell near us after A while the guy came over for A chat he asked my mate did he want A spair bell my looked at me and then turned to the bloke and said ya if its out of A bottle into A glass drunken the bloke laughed and walked back to his rods
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Kirky's Dad

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 7:58 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. It would seem that alarms or should I say BELLS! are not everyone's cup of tea. 4 to 2 against so far and Clive got his awe in twice.

I thought there would be far more response to this as everyone I speak to about it usually have a strong opinion one way or the other, so come on lets have a bit of BELL! bashing or BELL ringing if you prefer now is the chance to have your say and get it off your chest.

Last edited by kirky's dad on Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 4953
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10201

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:31 pm

Thanks for an an interesting thread.

Personally I just use a tip light, makes it a lot easier to wander over to your mate for a chat whilst keeping an eye on the rod,

but I might be tempted following Tony's feedback.

Might add that having moved from a 16 foot rod to the Century I don't get such a crick in the neck watching the tip!

Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Kirky's Dad

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 10:26 am

Hi Notbad, is that because the Century is shorter than the 16' or is the tip easier to see (ie coloured white or yellow.) and therefore you don't have to concentrate as much?
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 4953
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10201

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyMon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 pm

kirky's dad wrote:
Hi Notbad, is that because the Century is shorter than the 16' or is the tip easier to see (ie coloured white or yellow.) and therefore you don't have to concentrate as much?

Purely length,
I've two Longbeams one set up for Night with hi viz tip tape, tip light and night crystal line, the other daylight with clear line,
you have to stand further back and still look up to 16 feet!

The Century tip is amazing to "read" what is going on day or night.
It's does show well in the headlight from a long way off, but adding a tip light avoids keeping the light on.
Couldn't be doing with bells -I've had tinnitus for over 30 years and hear ringing sounds all the time anyway!

Paul
Back to top Go down
Kirky's Dad
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Sunnyrhyl Addict
Kirky's Dad

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 8:31 pm

Have you used the SeaBite alarm again Tony (Lever) if so have you anymore feed back and Notbad did you buy one if so what do you think? Kirky uses one as well as me now and he likes it as much as I do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Alarms Empty
PostSubject: Re: Alarms   Alarms Empty

Back to top Go down

Alarms
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Sea Fishing Chat-
Jump to: