sunnyrhyl.com

The Number One Fishing Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

WARNING

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: WARNING   Thu May 24, 2012 10:53 pm

I posted a warning on the forum last year about “Ethanol” or “Bio” in Red Diesel (Gas Oil) and how it’s not suitable for marine applications. Well now we’re finding similar problems with petrol. Most petrol has a percentage of ethanol added; it’s all to do with exhaust emissions and EEC regs. The problem is it degrades very quickly.. Most road vehicles turn over their fuel tank contents within a few weeks, so the problems don’t seem to appear, it’s when fuel is left for long periods e,g boat engines, jet skis, lawn mowers, generators etc.. The ethanol attracts water which builds up in your tank .and will start to corrode any metal components, also it,s "octane" rating drops quite quickly compared to non bio petrol and after a couple of months, if left in your tank, you may have problems even starting your engine.We do a lot of business with the Classic and Vintage car and motorcycle enthusiasts, and they are finding a lot of problems, not just with the water content in the fuel, but also ethanol can “eat" seals in carburettors and corrode brass, copper and steel fuel lines. This can happen in your boat fuel lines as well. We suggest that unless you’re using your engine on a regular basis you should drain the tanks. And if possible run a fuel line cleaner through the system before you store your engine.

Someone once said..

"If you're at sea, and your engine packs up, you can't get out and push".

If you need any more info call me in work on
01745 591969

Tony
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4432
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8933

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Fri May 25, 2012 2:50 pm

Good shout Tony.
I have heard similar anecdotal evidence of seal failure in tractors too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Fri May 25, 2012 7:54 pm

After doing some more research today on this "Ethanol" additive in Derv, Petrol and Gas Oil. It turns out it will also degrade plastics. Most tank manufacturers only recommend up to 5% Bio Ethanol in their products,and as Petrol and Derv can contain up to 7% and Gas Oil 10%, it means that if your tank or fuel lines have the word "Ethyl" in their name e.g "Polyethylene". You need to check them more regularly. At the moment there are a couple of companies developing additives to combat this problem.

Will keep you posted.

I know this is posted on the boat section, but this affects all of us. if any of you out their are in the motor trade expect plenty of vehicles with fuel related problems in the future.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Sat May 26, 2012 12:00 am

I don't usually bring my work home, but I've become maybe a bit obsessive about this "Bio Ethanol". And I've been trolling the Internet for more info, I now know why a great many of our customers are coming to us asking about fuel problems, and if we can supply a remedy. If you've got a car, truck, tractor, boat, lawnmower, chainsaw, generator or anything that uses fuel and it has a steel, aluminum, fiberglass or plastic tank and you don't "turn over" your fuel fairly regularly, don't leave fuel in the tank as it's destroying it from the inside. The Americans had one of their top Universities to do test on bio ethanol in the early nineties, and they concluded it was bad news, but the government still went ahead and added to their fuels. I've found evidence especially in the American marine sector that over a period of 4 to 5 years Four stoke and two stroke engines inboard and outboard developed fuel related problems e.g tank and fuel line degradation and carburettor and injection system failure. The U K has only been adding this stuff for the last couple of years, so time will tell whether the same problems will arise here.

I'll get me coat....... Embarassed
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Sat May 26, 2012 12:13 am

I wish I'd found this 3 hours ago.

http://www.mercurymarine.com/service-and-support/storage-and-maintenance/faqs/outboards/?category=ethanol#webinar
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Mon Jun 11, 2012 4:28 pm

Just an update on fuel additives. This is the one I will be stocking in the near future

http://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-vehicle-against-ethanol

If you have a classic motorbike or car, or you leave fuel in you tanks for more than
a couple of months it will help to combat the problems with ethanol in petrol.
We also do an additve for diesels as well.
Tony
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Mon Jun 18, 2012 4:32 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
Just an update on fuel additives. This is the one I will be stocking in the near future

http://www.frost.co.uk/protect-your-vehicle-against-ethanol

If you have a classic motorbike or car, or you leave fuel in you tanks for more than
a couple of months it will help to combat the problems with ethanol in petrol.
We also do an additve for diesels as well.
Tony

Now in stock 250ml treats 250lts of fuel

£12.00 inc VAT..

01745 591969
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:42 pm

If you talk to Mark at MES he will tell you that most of his work comes from the damage unleaded fuel does to carbs. It creates a varnish that blocks up carb jets.
He advised me to actually drain the carbs before storing ourboards, turning the fuel tap off untill the engine stops is not enough. don,t leave any petrol engine standing for more than two months without draining the carbs and using fresh fuel.
Modern petrol has a very limited shelf life, it actually loses calorific value so won't burn efficiently when it,s stored.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:18 pm

Just a reminder, if your winterising any equipment that has petrol or diesel in it's tanks, drain them, and if you can, empty the carb bowl or even better flush out the whole system. The company who we buy our fuel additives from are developing a product that will help to alleviate some of the problems associated with "Bio -ethanol" I will let you know when it is available.
The good news is that the EEC have decided that Bio Fuels Are not as Eco friendly as first thought and that they may scrap them altogether.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WARNING   

Back to top Go down

WARNING
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Small Boats & Kayaks-
Jump to: