4 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6084
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13573

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST Empty
PostSubject: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 12:04 am

FREE EXPERIMENTAL HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST !

"BUDDIE" - Bangor University Design Development and Innovation Enterprise unit has approached us for help in testing two potentially ground breaking hooks.

Ever wondered how a fish finds your lug worm even in the dark?
Scent is doubtless a big part of it but why should the fish pick your bait out from the 1000s of live worm out on the lug beds?
Averel Bardolph is a Marine Studies student and keen angler who reckons she's discovered the answer and she'd like SunnyRhyl's help to test two prototype hooks.
So how can you help?
We've been given a couple of boxes of the prototypes to try, all you have to do is give them a go and Email her a simple report card.
Just let us know which type you'd like to test and we'll share the hooks out.

Averel with a Mullet
OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST P8100023

It is well proven that members of the shark family sense electrical current and the theory is that Electro Induction also is the reason why some types of fish specifically choose your hook bait and others ignore it.
The iron content of lugworm or crab is very high and the juice is acidic, so when you put a juicy bait on a metal hook and immerse it in salt water you actually create a battery effect and its believed this small electro-magnetic current is what predators home in on and some fish avoid.

Hook Type One:
This prototype is known for now as "The Bone"
made from Emco MIL-P-6264B this is a plastic hook intended for the likes of Mullet and Milk Fish, for them it works by removing the electro magnetic clues that give away conventional metal hooks.
Averel has discovered a tiny free floating bone inside the protuding bump on a Mullet's lip, this is a receptor that works like a compass needle, sensitive to the earth's electro magnetic field ( it's how they navigate back to familiar estuaries and her research suggests they even recognise the magnetic signatures of certain charter boats as "home" )
This receptor also picks up on the magnetic flux of a normal metal hook and Mullet's instincts have evolved to avoid it, this is why Mullet happily take bread ( or peas! ) but frustratingly always seem to know which piece has a metal hook in it and keep away!

Google Emco MIL-P-6264B and you'll find it's a military grade plastic used to make non-conducting tools

http://www.emcoplastics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&page_id=43

there is no metal content so there is no flux signature at all but these hooks are super tough and ultra-sonically honed to be really sharp.
The surface is etched to give it a texture to both look like bread and to give a surface that flake will grip on and because the plastic is white it hides well in white sliced - though I've found it can be coloured with a permanent marker pen if you fancy trying them out on other baits.

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST P3250429

Type Two:
"The Wolfram Magneto"
This hook borrows from hydrogen fuel cell technology and could spark a revolution in hook design, it's intended for fish that go for worm or fishy baits, it's made from 14 grade tungsten wire which is nano coated with a copper-pyrites varnish to the upper part of the shaft to create an anode and then the point is gaussed to increase the "battery" charge, once loaded with a worm or oily fish bait and immersed in salt water it mimics the electro-magnetic flux that live prey give off - but a thousand times stronger! Quite literally it becomes a real fish magnet!!

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST P3250413

Averel appears in this Sunday's Dragon's Den programme pitching her two other ideas;
a braided line incorporating photo voltaic fibre optic thread for use at night, touch it against a carbon rod and the static electricty built up in casting discharges and lights up your line in neon pink!

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST P3310448

and a weight saving grip " lead " made of papier mache, I know what you're thinking, paper can't possibly be heavy enough but the clever bit is that one end of the tube is open, just fill it with sea water and it's ready to use

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST P3310461

So there you go - Averel's hook, line and sinker.

COMING SOON: The new Ambi-Purefishing range of left-handed rods on test!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 9:09 am

Very interesting,im off to chesil the week after next smut fishing with some of the locals so it would be interesting to see if they make a difference Very Happy just let me know
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 10:02 am

then again you could all look at the date................. nice one paul that new set up seems to be working caught a few today
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7170

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:51 am

Nice one Paul, I know Averel quite well, she shows up every year about now lol!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 5:30 pm

nice1 mate you got me there Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySun Apr 01, 2012 11:10 pm

Laughing
Tony Lever wrote:
Tony Lever wrote:
Oh well, every body knows now. It was good while it lasted Paul. Only thing is, I've spent 1/2 of an hour making up a dummy electromagnetic swim feeder to photograph and post on here

DOH!!! geek geek

Now I've started this I'm going to give it a proper try. Anybody know where can I get zinc wire from?

Oh Dear! Rolling Eyes

Picture of a pretty girl with a fish and all sense of reason goes out the window!
Still there's no Bardolph like an old Bardolph.

For the tiny amount you'll need Tony ( unless you plan on cabling up to the windfarm!) I'd be thinking visit a scrappy or tidy up some galvanised fencing with bolt cutters! Farm and Pet Place by McDonalds might stock it with the agricultural hardware,
or you could try Adept Tooling on the Kinmel Bay Ind Estate its been about 5 years since I went there but they were in the back half of the building Castletech are in and used to do various small scale tooling jobs including some small part plating in various metals I think.

If you want to get really carried away there is an offshore weather instrument manufacturer ( the sort of stuff that can withstand months on a weather bouy ) on Marsh Road who might be able to help ( think they are called Vector)

Failing which this might give you an idea but the instructions say you'll need an older friend to help you study

http://www.energyquest.ca.gov/projects/lemon.html

Following the footnote link from the above to other food batteries it suggests using zinc screws ( roofing screws?)

I look forward to a report! Truth could be stranger than fiction.

Bread coloured Mullet hooks are much easier, but don't get Tippex on the Mrs' carpet!

Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 12:54 pm

Tony Lever wrote:

Insert the screwdrivers into the sand about two feet apart. The battery will send a low-level electrical current through the ground and worms will begin to appear on the surface for you to harvest
. geek geek geek geek Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tony,
I followed your instructions and it worked really well but I've now had the CIA round wanting to order a dozen for an international karaoke night ( I think that's what they meant by overseas rendition ) affraid

There's a ready made version that solves the stooping = bad back problem and incorporating a light http://www.defensedevices.com/rattan-sword-cane.html

PS wear rubber boots!

Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9120

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 12:17 pm

Great stuff Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptyMon Apr 16, 2012 7:11 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
Whoops!!!!!

Went down the beach today with a 5 Kva industrial generator, two scaffolding poles and 60 feet of h/duty battery cable. No lug but this happened..

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST Articl10

Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Rolling Eyes
Tony.
I'm not sure they believe your cover story about that sonic bang being caused by Typhoon jets either Smile
Back to top Go down
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13843

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptyThu Apr 19, 2012 9:02 pm

following all this advice i went one better and installed several giant probes into the beach and attached it to the national grid the result of which a huge magnetic field was created trouble was instead of going downwards and forcing the worms up it went outwards and.......
OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST Ttttttttttttttttttttttt049

OOPS
Back to top Go down
squidward
Tope Hunter
squidward

Number of posts : 1096
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7170

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST EmptySat Apr 21, 2012 6:20 pm

You can dig your own by the Nova Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST   OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST Empty

Back to top Go down

OUR HELP NEEDED WITH FREE PROTOTYPE HOOKS FOR MEMBERS TO TEST
Page 1 of 1