sunnyrhyl.com

The Number One Fishing Forum

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

First Fish

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

PostSubject: First Fish   Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:44 pm

As anglers we all caught that important first fish. The one, they say, that really caught you and started this passion called angling.

I was 7 years old and caught a giant fish (A Flounder probably about 3 ounces) in the Foryd at Rhyl. That was it hooked for life. What about the rest of you?

Photos would be a bonus.

Last edited by Tony Lever on Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter

Number of posts : 3293
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6647

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:38 pm

Same venue for me.
Shamefully, a Flounder, foul hooked with a treble.
No excuse, with the exception of being 12 and that was the way you fished, or so I was told at the time.

Learned the errors of my ways and shifted to salted Lug and had a legitimate Eel out of the Harbour soon after.

Spent many a summer trying to catch a fish in Brookes' Field pond. Failed dismally!
First freshwater fish was a small Perch from the boot of a submerged Vauxhall Viva in The Brickie.

First fish from a boat a Mackerel onboard Peter Campini's boat. Striker?

Happy Days!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:25 am

We introduced the perch into the brickie in the late 70's (highly illegal) so you can thank me for your first coarse fish. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1179
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3948

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:52 am

First fish was when I was about 4yrs old went with my dad to A lake near our house in England I was fishing with A rod made out of A tank areal with line tied to the end I was perched on An old log that went out into the water approx 20ft it snapped my line affraid it was massive ,Looking back now it was probably about A pound in weight , MY first sea fish was A dog fish when I was ten years old fishing mackerel strips of the rocks at brig house bay in Scotland on holiday Very Happy on the same rod I used when I was 4yrs old sadly the rod got broken that many times over the years by the age of about 12 it had lost about A foot Rolling Eyes its final death was when we used it on our inshore dingy fishing for mackerel and my older brother decided to put A bigger weight on it (a pound )and it snapped in half ,I was devastated Sad ITS strange looking back I remember I used to go to the beach first thing in the morning and dig lug worms with A potato fork And collect cockles + periwinkles and walk back to the caravan about 3miles laden down with my spoils we would put the cockles + periwinkles in a large pan +boil them for tea Very Happy the worms were for the flaties in the estuary I would get A bottle of pop A sandwich and my dad would drop me at the beach Cool were I would stay for the day till he picked me up before tea strange looking back now I always caught loads of flounders + the odd place on just A small 1oz bomb with A hook tied to the end of the line +a large split shot to stop the bomb getting near the hook , how things change when we get older ,Just got back in from fishing I had my usual x10 packs of fresh large black lug x2 century MTL rods x2 abu reels fished x2 pulley pennel rigs loaded with x3 lug + x2 party squid and I blanked not even A bite but I still enjoy it as much as I did when I was younger Wink
Back to top Go down
squidward
Conger Hunter

Number of posts : 738
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4199

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:03 am

Mine was a dab off Colwyn Bay pier, my grandad started me off in about 1959 when we moved to North Wales, the tackle would not be believed in this day and age, 7ft cane rods and centre pin reels!
Piers were our only option, but with Rhyl, Colwyn Bay, Llandudno and Bangor to choose from we never knew what a blank was.
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:29 pm

Tony Lever wrote:
We introduced the perch into the brickie in the late 70's (highly illegal) so you can thank me for your first coarse fish. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Wasn't your Vauxhall Viva too was it?
Back to top Go down
ianroberts
Conger Hunter

Number of posts : 743
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3632

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:42 pm

A snapper in Cuba !

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:59 pm

congerman1962 wrote:
First fish was when I was about 4yrs old went with my dad to A lake near our house in England I was fishing with A rod made out of A tank areal with line tied to the end

Tank aerial rods, that takes me back. They were advertised in "Exchange and Mart" probably for 5/6d old money (28p). Along with Ex Army Tents, Sleeping Bags, Billie cans etc.... Happy Days
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:00 pm

fairziff wrote:
Tony Lever wrote:
Wasn't your Vauxhall Viva too was it?

What was the REG NUMBER?? Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:01 pm

ianroberts wrote:
A snapper in Cuba !

Show off Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
talkingbullhuss
Nearly as Bad as Notbad
Nearly as Bad as Notbad

Number of posts : 1499
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4044

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:07 pm

first coarse fish a gudgeon on the trent and mersey canal when i was knee high to a grass hopper. first sea fish codling at colwyn bay at low water about 3 pound . Fluke our what . That was when i was in my early twenties . Happy days Smile p s in all the years sea fishing at colwyn bay since my codling .. only had codling about 6 oz since lol. This is a true story i promise i took a good mate of mine about 6 years after i had my codling he caught a 3 pounder in the same place low water by the arches how flukey that . Smile

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:18 pm

my first fish was a brown trout in garth woods pond when i was about 5-6 years old as i grew older i started sea fishing i used to go to my nain and taids house with my mum to mostyn were i used to fish every square inch of mostyn cob from the fun ship to the tipin end we used to get loads of codling behind the sewerage treatment works up to 4lbs i did see alun hillman catch a ten pouder from the same spot my dad bought a 16ft fishing boat which was moored behing warick nxt to joe mealors shrimping boat were we used the boat for driftnetting and rod and line fishing by the time i was 15 i had my own boat powered by a 4 hp aircooled arcamedes penta used to fish with rod and line on the flats off ffynongroew catching plaice,dabs,and eels never caught a bass till i joined psc we used to get loads in the net tho Rolling Eyes i even used to walk the nets in on the local beaches catching mullet and bass Wink
but i must say there is no finer feeling when you get your first run off a bass on light spinning gear, the feeling is f@@king amazing.
Roll on the summer and tight lines to all cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:35 am

Cracking pics Jason, I've watercoloured the second one and posted it on General Chat "Splash Point to Splosh Paint"
Back to top Go down
Notbad
The Big Cheese

Number of posts : 4371
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 8800

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Sat Feb 18, 2012 12:57 pm

AHHH tank aeriel rods I remember them, every high street had an army surplus shop and Bridlington beach ( and doubtless many others) had DUKWs doing trips out into the sea.

Somewhere I've a pic of my first boat fishing trip, I was literally a baby in my mother's arms in a hired rowing boat outside Bridlington Harbour, my dad is on the oars and swinging in a dab, not a life saving device to be seen -I don't suppose health and safety was a big deal to those who lived through WW2

If I find the pic I'll post it.

First fish I recall being mine was off the harbour wall at Bridlington, I couldn't see over the wall but I'd be about 4 years old and vividly remember bait wrapped in newspaper and Dad getting me to reel in a flattie that seemed absolutely huge at the time.

First rod of my own was a Milbro glass fibre coarse rod for Christmas, went fishing at Langold Lake on Boxing Day and I caught a tiny Rudd or something, snow was on the ground and I dropped the flask.. then there was my first pair of jeans, first air rifle, first shotgun, first girlfriend, first motorbike, first car, first divorce... pale
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:41 pm

Notbad wrote:
AHHH tank aeriel rods I remember them, every high street had an army surplus shop and Bridlington beach ( and doubtless many others) had DUKWs doing trips out into the sea.

Hunstanton in Norfolk has a LARC (smaller version of the DUKW) still doing trips out into the Wash.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOLQCCxFL_A&feature=related

My first rod and reel was a Milbro 6' solid glass spinning rod with a Intrepid Elite reel. Given to me by my Uncle.
First proper coarse rod was a "Black Abbott" 12' whole cane butt and middle with a solid glass tip £2/12/6d in 1963 (Still got it).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:04 pm

My first was a perch from the Bridgewater Canal in Warrington around 1960/61 . Caught on a 6 foot spllit cane rod with a centre pin reel and a green and yellow "bob" float. I can still picture that float disappearing into the dark water.

My first sea fish was a 3lb bass caught on a silver Abu toby in 1966 aged 10. Its been down hill since then.

My first proper rod was a Sportex "minor", which I broke on one of its first outings and years later converted it into a light feeder rod for fishing the Trent. Still got it.
Back to top Go down
stevo
Porbeagle Hunter

Number of posts : 3220
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 6918

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:37 am

I caught my first fish when on holiday on sunnyvale holiday park near
the blue bridge when i was 10yrs old my dad bought me a fishing set and
some lug from the blueshark.We set off to the harbour and after catching
a ton of crabs i caught a small eel and that was me hooked Very Happy

My first course fish was a perch Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:55 am

My first memories of trying to catch fish are from when I was about six and we used to stay on a caravan site in Llandrillo near Corwen. There was a small stream running through the site which we used to dam to make it deep enough to float dinghys. If I remember correctly the stream was a tributary of the Dee.
I used to chase small fish around with a net and eventually my dad bought me a little 5ft fibreglass rod. I used to fish for hours without a bite and then one day the float buried and I caught a brown trout about 4 inches long. I thought it was a monster and was hooked for life.
Can't find the photo of the fish but found one of me with the net. Its the summer of 1982.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:30 pm

My first decent fish, a 3 1/2lb plaice was caught in the Marine Lake in Rhyl. It was nearly 47 years ago, John Povah (one of the local charter boat skippers) had had the idea of turning the Marine Lake into a fishing lake with day tickets etc. Most of the boat skippers would bring back live fish from the boat trips and put them in the lake. At the time they didn't drain it every winter so they thrived in there. It had a good head of flatties, whiting, codling mullet, although I don't remember catching any doggies in there. We used to go down with coarse tackle and float fish "The Well" catch a load of dabs, keep them in a keep net, and put them back at the end of the session. The day I caught the Plaice I was spinning for a Salmon. for those who can remember, our salmon stocks were devastated in the 60's by a disease called Columnaris. somebody had caught one of these fish and instead of destroying it had put it in the lake. I was spinning with a No3 Mepps hoping to catch it , when I got a hit. I thought it was the salmon, but was quite surprised when I realised I hooked a Plaice. I can remember taking it to the Marina Garage to have it weighed. Joan Spiller, the owner refused to weigh it, she said I caught it "dragging" down the river. It wasn't in particularly good condition, if it had been, it probably would have gone well over 4lb. Unfortunately John Povah couldn't convince Rhyl Council that a fishing lake was a good Idea, and within a couple of years the Lake was drained and the fish dissappeared...... or have they?????
Back to top Go down
congerman1962
Tope Hunter

Number of posts : 1179
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3948

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Shocked there were rumors of some one catching whiting out of it x2 years ago but only small pin ones Shocked
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:45 pm

This is a great thread!
Loving all the memories.
You can just feel the passion pouring out from each account.

I'm still waiting for Simons first fish story, which I believe may well be at a very young age.

Oh, why do they dain the Marine lake every year?
Back to top Go down
joker44
Legend

Number of posts : 1587
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4683

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:57 pm

caught my first fish when i was 4 yrs old fishing with my dad and his mates all they let me have was a stick and some line with a match stick for a float with 1 maggot i caught 9 sticklebacks and i had the last laugh they all blanked
been hooked ever since then
now i fish with fly rods /sea rods and i still do the odd bit of coarse fishing

its a pity they wont teach fishing in schools as i think if more kids got the chance to try fishing then our sport could become much better through education (just my thoughts)
cheers joe

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:26 am

Going back a few years I seem to remember a scheme set up by Clwyd County Council to teach skoolkids angling. One of the members of the Rhyl Labour Club (Ray Jones I think) became a qualified coach. But I can't remember if it ever got off the ground, some of the other "Old Gits" on here might remember better than me. Rolling Eyes silent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:44 am

"its a pity they wont teach fishing in schools as i think if more kids got the chance to try fishing then our sport could become much better through education (just my thoughts)
cheers joe"

It is available, but not in Wales.

http://www.anglinginschools.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
ianroberts
Conger Hunter

Number of posts : 743
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3632

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:11 am

joker44 wrote:
caught my first fish when i was 4 yrs old fishing with my dad and his mates all they let me have was a stick and some line with a match stick for a float with 1 maggot i caught 9 sticklebacks

That sounds better gear than the stuff you use nowadays mate !

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: First Fish   

Back to top Go down

First Fish
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Sea Fishing Chat-
Jump to: