sunnyrhyl.com

The Home of Fishing

HomeHome  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Isle of Skye: To the Light House

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 4995
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 10338

Isle of Skye: To the Light House Empty
PostSubject: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Isle of Skye  
Part One:  To The light Hoose

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0499

Once more the 1,000 mile round trip to the office, with the weekend reserved for fishing. With the salmon season over I went in search of pollock, at Neist Point,
Neist is the western most point on Skye and looks across The Minch to the Outer Hebrides

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0454

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0462

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0467

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0463

Cairn building taken to another level
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0466

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0464

Geology is similar to The Giant's Causeway and is said to extend under the sea to it

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0468

Did a quick risk assessment and chose my spot
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0473

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0475

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0469

My shadow matched me cast for cast, like me switching between a Shakespeare Atlantis 10# saltwater fly rod and a blackrock travel spin with a variety of lures.
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0478

The wind turned playing havoc with the fly so I moved to where I could cast down wind

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0483

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0484

No interest until I tied on a large slug-go which something grabbbed first chuck, whatever it was didn't find the hook though and the slug came back well gummed.

Next cast and it was taken again, a juddering, pulsing scrap ensued, the spin rod was arced right over as the unseen beast powered deep into the rocks at my feet and then it was off - and back came a snapped hook!

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0487

Had half a dozen tussles on the slug in all, but I couldn't get the hook to set,
I think the problem was using the largest size Slug-go means the "tex-point" hook is a long way from the tail. Thinking about it now I should have rigged up a second hook and maybe cut down the slug but instead I tried smaller jellies, shads,plugs and assorted lures and flies but without interest

Meanwile, across the other side the landing net was out,
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0485

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0486

In fact they brought several pollock in, all on floatfished bait.
Typical! I'd cut right down on the gear I took this time and hadn't brought either bait or a float kit.
With the sun getting low it was time to go,

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0491

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0496

Decided I'd try again Sunday but where could I get a float kit from?  There aren't many tackle shops around here ( in fact not many shops! ) and the tackle shops don't open on Sunday. What would Ray Mears do?

Couldn't find any balsa trees so in the Co-op I bought a pack of raw tiger prawns, some cod fillets, a bag of ice cubes and two jif lemons - no its not Masterchef ...
back at the hotel  I got improvising

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0500

Last edited by Notbad on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Part Two: Would I bag pollock in a jiffy or would the Jif float turn out to be a lemon?

Sunday Morning and I'm keen to fish but with the tide still on the ebb I went exploring instead, the coast around Skye is mostly rock or mud fringed with weed, except for one anomally,
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0502

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0503

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0505

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0510

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0513

Anyway, on with the fishing.
Back to Neist, it was blowing a hooley, spume was being thrown 40 foot in the air and fishing the rocks would have been asking for a rock in the face.
I reasoned the small quay must have a reasonable depth of water alongside and it was sheltered. And the winch should be able to reel even the biggest marine boggart in
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0517

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0521

The lemon was deployed.

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0522

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0525

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0526

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0527

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0524

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0523

As high approached things got rougher in my sheltered spot, I perched my camera on a rock for a self-timer shot ..big mistake as it took off!

Now I could tell you I landed a huge fish just after the camera stopped working, truth is I sacked it and set off on the screaming ligament walk back up,

what a lemon...

Back to top Go down
talkingbullhuss
Tope Hunter
talkingbullhuss

Number of posts : 1498
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4835

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

what a fantastic read mate good report hard luck on the fish. But you have to take the rough with the smooth Very Happy

Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3295
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 7439

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 am

Stunning report Paul!

Scenery to die for!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Logger
ADMIN
Logger

Number of posts : 6838
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 12026

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 6:56 am

Just been trolling through the archives.
There really are some great places to fish around bonnie Scotland.
If anyone gets the chance to go they definatly should !
Great report and pics cheers
Back to top Go down
wildgoose
Dab Hunter
wildgoose

Number of posts : 37
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3249

PostSubject: Neist Point - Great Spot   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Had a cracking pollack a few years ago off the rocks with a spinner from the same location! The friends who we were staying with, lived at Edinbane - which is down the road from Dunvegan. It's certainly a beautiful spot in good conditions!

One of the most memorable and scary fishing experiences I've ever had, was seeing a Nuclear Sub silently surface just off-shore. It was huge and move swiftly and almost silently away.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

wildgoose wrote:
Had a cracking pollack a few years ago off the rocks with a spinner from the same location! The friends who we were staying with, lived at Edinbane - which is down the road from Dunvegan. It's certainly a beautiful spot in good conditions!

One of the most memorable and scary fishing experiences I've ever had, was seeing a Nuclear Sub silently surface just off-shore. It was huge and move swiftly and almost silently away.

Wow! I know its a good spot for whale watching, not been on the Talisker had you!!
Back to top Go down
longranger
Legend
longranger

Number of posts : 1678
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 5460

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 am

a great report paul well done mate Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimmyjizzmo
Giant Squid Hunter
jimmyjizzmo

Number of posts : 263
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 3274

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

Brilliant report mate,really enjoyed reading that Cool Cool Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Great Report Well Done Nice Pics Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House Empty

Back to top Go down

Isle of Skye: To the Light House
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
sunnyrhyl.com :: Sea Fishing :: Sea Fishing Shore Reports-
Jump to: