4 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6098
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13635

Isle of Skye: To the Light House Empty
PostSubject: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:28 pm

Isle of Skye  
Part One:  To The light Hoose

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0499

Once more the 1,000 mile round trip to the office, with the weekend reserved for fishing. With the salmon season over I went in search of pollock, at Neist Point,
Neist is the western most point on Skye and looks across The Minch to the Outer Hebrides

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0454

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0462

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0467

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0463

Cairn building taken to another level
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0466

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0464

Geology is similar to The Giant's Causeway and is said to extend under the sea to it

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0468

Did a quick risk assessment and chose my spot
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0473

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0475

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0469

My shadow matched me cast for cast, like me switching between a Shakespeare Atlantis 10# saltwater fly rod and a blackrock travel spin with a variety of lures.
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0478

The wind turned playing havoc with the fly so I moved to where I could cast down wind

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0483

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0484

No interest until I tied on a large slug-go which something grabbbed first chuck, whatever it was didn't find the hook though and the slug came back well gummed.

Next cast and it was taken again, a juddering, pulsing scrap ensued, the spin rod was arced right over as the unseen beast powered deep into the rocks at my feet and then it was off - and back came a snapped hook!

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0487

Had half a dozen tussles on the slug in all, but I couldn't get the hook to set,
I think the problem was using the largest size Slug-go means the "tex-point" hook is a long way from the tail. Thinking about it now I should have rigged up a second hook and maybe cut down the slug but instead I tried smaller jellies, shads,plugs and assorted lures and flies but without interest

Meanwile, across the other side the landing net was out,
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0485

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0486

In fact they brought several pollock in, all on floatfished bait.
Typical! I'd cut right down on the gear I took this time and hadn't brought either bait or a float kit.
With the sun getting low it was time to go,

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0491

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0496

Decided I'd try again Sunday but where could I get a float kit from?  There aren't many tackle shops around here ( in fact not many shops! ) and the tackle shops don't open on Sunday. What would Ray Mears do?

Couldn't find any balsa trees so in the Co-op I bought a pack of raw tiger prawns, some cod fillets, a bag of ice cubes and two jif lemons - no its not Masterchef ...
back at the hotel  I got improvising

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0500

Last edited by Notbad on Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Nov 06, 2011 10:32 pm

Part Two: Would I bag pollock in a jiffy or would the Jif float turn out to be a lemon?

Sunday Morning and I'm keen to fish but with the tide still on the ebb I went exploring instead, the coast around Skye is mostly rock or mud fringed with weed, except for one anomally,
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0502

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0503

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0505

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0510

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0513

Anyway, on with the fishing.
Back to Neist, it was blowing a hooley, spume was being thrown 40 foot in the air and fishing the rocks would have been asking for a rock in the face.
I reasoned the small quay must have a reasonable depth of water alongside and it was sheltered. And the winch should be able to reel even the biggest marine boggart in
Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0517

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0521

The lemon was deployed.

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0522

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0525

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0526

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0527

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0524

Isle of Skye: To the Light House SAM_0523

As high approached things got rougher in my sheltered spot, I perched my camera on a rock for a self-timer shot ..big mistake as it took off!

Now I could tell you I landed a huge fish just after the camera stopped working, truth is I sacked it and set off on the screaming ligament walk back up,

what a lemon...

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyMon Nov 07, 2011 3:12 pm

what a fantastic read mate good report hard luck on the fish. But you have to take the rough with the smooth Very Happy
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9164

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:06 am

Stunning report Paul!

Scenery to die for!
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Logger
Hunter
Logger

Number of posts : 6951
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13887

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 6:56 am

Just been trolling through the archives.
There really are some great places to fish around bonnie Scotland.
If anyone gets the chance to go they definatly should !
Great report and pics cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Neist Point - Great Spot   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 12:46 pm

Had a cracking pollack a few years ago off the rocks with a spinner from the same location! The friends who we were staying with, lived at Edinbane - which is down the road from Dunvegan. It's certainly a beautiful spot in good conditions!

One of the most memorable and scary fishing experiences I've ever had, was seeing a Nuclear Sub silently surface just off-shore. It was huge and move swiftly and almost silently away.
Back to top Go down
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySat Dec 08, 2012 1:47 pm

wildgoose wrote:
Had a cracking pollack a few years ago off the rocks with a spinner from the same location! The friends who we were staying with, lived at Edinbane - which is down the road from Dunvegan. It's certainly a beautiful spot in good conditions!

One of the most memorable and scary fishing experiences I've ever had, was seeing a Nuclear Sub silently surface just off-shore. It was huge and move swiftly and almost silently away.

Wow! I know its a good spot for whale watching, not been on the Talisker had you!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptySun Dec 09, 2012 10:28 am

a great report paul well done mate Very Happy Very Happy
Back to top Go down
jimmyjizzmo
Giant Squid Hunter
jimmyjizzmo

Number of posts : 274
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 4999

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyWed Dec 12, 2012 11:23 am

Brilliant report mate,really enjoyed reading that Cool Cool Cool
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House EmptyTue Jan 08, 2013 6:46 pm

Great Report Well Done Nice Pics Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Isle of Skye: To the Light House   Isle of Skye: To the Light House Empty

Back to top Go down

Isle of Skye: To the Light House
Page 1 of 1