2 posters
AuthorMessage
Notbad
ADMIN
Notbad

Number of posts : 6108
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 13669

I'm keeping my trap shut! Empty
PostSubject: I'm keeping my trap shut!   I'm keeping my trap shut! EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 7:58 pm

Got one of these?

I'm keeping my trap shut! Fishcrab003

I'm keeping my trap shut! Fishtrap002

You may not know (or care!) but for even these hobby level traps, available from about a fiver, you are supposed to have a permit.
You might be sceptical about that but it's been checked out before.

I got my trap as a bit of fun, though it's a good way to catch bait such as shrimp
(baiting with bread works well)

The permits are free so what the hell I got one, I haven't used the trap in a good while
and I wasn't even sure when my permit expires but
today I received a letter from North Western & North Wales Sea Fisheries Committee,
here's the gist of it,

" to all present Byelaw 30 permit holders

Dear Permit holder,

Byelaw 30 - Permit to fish for lobster, crawfish, crab, prawn and whelk

Please be advised that your byelaw permit 30- expires on the 31 December 2009.
If you wish to renew your permit please complete the enclosed application form...

...Due to the re-organisation of inshore fisheries management in April 2010,
permits commencing 1 January 2010 will be for only a 12 month period.

and this is the significant change

As from 1st January 2010 permits will be issued conditional on your recording and submitting your fishing activity.Returns will be required quarterly....a return form will be posted on our website (nwnwsfc.org) ...

...Thank you for your co-operation in assisting us to collect data on fishing practices and catch rates.
The next 6 months will be a substantial change in the administration of fisheries management...

S V Andrews
pp.Martyn Boyce
Principal Fishery Officer "

I'm not that excited about it, but I'm just wondering though, part 3 of the renewal application asks, "Area to be fished"

do you think they will accept answers of' "non-flashing flashy light mark", "the trolley" or "by the bar" ???

I'm keeping my trap shut! Fishcrab008

that's another fine mesh Fairziff's gotten me in to!

http://www.nwnwsfc.org/page/home.htm

"Hobby Pots and Traps Registration Scheme

As from 1st May 2007 a new registration scheme (Byelaw 30) becomes active throughout the whole of the NW&NWSFC District. Anyone fishing as a hobby with pots and traps must now register by applying for a permit. The applicant will be allocated a unique number, which must be displayed on their boat and pot markers. Each permit holder will be allowed to fish with a maximum of 5 pots, and a daily ‘bag’ limit applies for the most popular species.

The new registration scheme will enable the compilation of landing statistics for the non commercial sector, and also allow Fishery Officers to identify abandoned gear. Pots that are lost during severe weather, or simply left in the sea after the summer holidays, continue to ‘ghost’ fish until the pots are washed ashore or broken up by wave action. Such pots can therefore accidentally remove and waste a number of healthy specimens that would otherwise breed, recruit to, and enhance the fishery.

Registration is free and an application form can be downloaded from [their] site, or on request to your local Fishery Officer or our Lancaster office."

PS net trap for sale!
Back to top Go down
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9182

PostSubject: Re: I'm keeping my trap shut!   I'm keeping my trap shut! EmptyTue Dec 01, 2009 9:13 pm

How bizarre that you have to go through all of that rigmarole for one occasionally placed 'shore' pot when seemingly you would have less red tape if you were to tether a couple of 100 metre gill nets to the end of the groynes just past Splash Point.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
fairziff
Porbeagle Hunter
fairziff

Number of posts : 3304
SunnyRhyl-O-Meter : 9182

PostSubject: Re: I'm keeping my trap shut!   I'm keeping my trap shut! EmptySat Dec 05, 2009 1:59 pm

bobthefish wrote:
I will be wetting the fly line in the dominican republic on thursday morning cheers

Is that just past Kinmel Bay?
Back to top Go down
http://www.sunnyrhyl.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I'm keeping my trap shut!   I'm keeping my trap shut! Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm keeping my trap shut!
Page 1 of 1